Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You know the screw in adapters?
Screw it in & you can plug 2 items in right?
But how many people check the engraving on the item that states its only good for about 660 watts ??

u244491.jpg

Can you find a UL mark on that?

Cookie

Reaction score
My tread has various sensors, a pulse, a fan, motor, and a few other extras which are nice to have but all add up. My tread is capable of high speeds and can carry a weight of 275 lbs, I made sure of that because of my 2 big sons. I use a single-outlet surge suppressor that is UL 1449 (TVSS) and also, a UL suppressed voltage rating of 400 volts and a minimum surge dissipation of 450 joules. The surge suppressor must be electrically rated for 120 volts AC and 15 amps. I do not use anything else on that circuit no other appliances. I=E/R = 1 volt / 1 Ohm = 1 amp

The treadmill must be grounded. If it should malfunction or break down, grounding provides a path of least resistance for electric current to reduce the risk of electric shock. My treadmill is equipped with a cord having an equipment-grounding conductor and a grounding plug. My treadmill is not compatible with GFCI-equipped outlets; for use on a nominal 120-circuit.

I knew once of a treadmill which was left plugged in and caught on fire and burned down an apt building. There was one fatality.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
If the manufacturer said don't use a cord then don't use a cord plain and simple. This also means that a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory has tested the piece of equipment without the use of a cord therefore the manufacturer of the equipment must include the verbiage to not use a cord in their instructions.

So, plugging directly into a receptacle at the end of a daisy chain of 7 or 8 (or more) receptacles, wired in series using 14 ga. in the push-in holes in the back, is OK. Using a new 12 ga. 9 ft. extension cord, plugged into the first receptacle on a circuit wired with 12 ga., using screw terminals, is not OK because it introduces an extra spring tension connection. According to the manufacturer's installation & use instructions.

Personally, rather than attempt the calculations, I'd plug in my Kill-a-watt and monitor the voltage during a use cycle. And feel the temp of the connections at the end of use.

I'm all for safety and durability measures, based on reality and actual conditions. I retrofitted GFI and AFI, notwithstanding my homes were grandfathered. I've gone through and redone all the receptacles that the builder pushed the wires into (code acceptable). I use 20 amp spec grade receptacles for things like the laundry, refrig, freezer, microwave, for the safety & durability margin they give.

(I also toss tires at 4/32 and change oil at 3 mo/3 k miles. I change tranny fluid at 15k and fuel filters at 60k, even though the manufacturer doesn't specify any interval.)

I'm curious about one technical point: Does the quoted statement mean that any listed equipment which does not contain the "no extension cords" warning has been tested with extension cords?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cord

quote; The more the cord cap is inserted and pulled out the more the spring of the device will weaken and the more resistance it will have.

What makes you think it will be plugged and unplugged more often with a cord than if it were directly into the socket. The reason for not recommending an extension cord is that some unenlightened people consider ALL cords equal as long as a device can plug into them, and has nothing to do with loss of tension and impedence.

Reaction score
ummmm....wow, i didn't expect such a discussion over a treadmill and an extension cord....
wow, and it has gotten a lot more scientific and techincal for my head.....

anyway...........

I used the treadmill this morning.
I used an extension cord...no apparent problems.

Here are the specs for the cord:
6' long
14 gauge
15 Amp, 125V
1875 Maximum Watts

I plugged the cord into the washing machine outlet, which has a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my panel. (I unplugged the washer cord).

thanks.
mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That should be OK...but find the rating plate on the treadmill that gives all the electrical specs and post what it says on there...

helix3

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech
Reaction score
I knew once of a treadmill which was left plugged in and caught on fire and burned down an apt building. There was one fatality.

I worked in R&D in the cardiovascular division of a large fitness company for a number of years and I've witnessed a number of treadmills go up, plugged in or not. I've had a treadmill shipped back to us after a fire marshall investigation and had it start smoking again as it sat (fault in the electronics and still-charged buss capacitors had something to do with this).

I can also tell you the #1 cause for treadmill fires - not cleaning it. Think of your dryer vent, same idea. Underneath the treadmill, dust, dirt, ect all collect. Circuit boards, motors, bad connections, etc.. all run hot in a treadmill and the flash point of dust is low, especially in winter when everything is so dry.

JWelectric

Reaction score
quote; The more the cord cap is inserted and pulled out the more the spring of the device will weaken and the more resistance it will have.

What makes you think it will be plugged and unplugged more often with a cord than if it were directly into the socket. The reason for not recommending an extension cord is that some unenlightened people consider ALL cords equal as long as a device can plug into them, and has nothing to do with loss of tension and impedence.

May have something to do what what was said here

When the treadmill is not in use, it will be unplugged....so there are no issues of someone falling over the cord....

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
The reason the codes are the way they are so no wall space is greater than 6foot from a rec. and no counter space is greater than 2' from a rec is to not to have to use extension cords. Extension cords used to be close to #1 on the list of reasons for house fires.

Anyone may use them at any time we are not going to police your home to see that you are not using them.

However the codes have been written over many years and come from many years of experience. We do not always understand certain ones, however in the past there was a problem. REMEMBER THE CODES ARE A MINIMUM.

Will you ever have a problem with what you are going to do. Maybe maybe not. Just be willing to accept the responsibility that comes with your decision.
If you base your decision on bad info or good info its still your decision and you are the one responsible for it.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I think one issue is that appliances, lights etc are all being made with shorter cords now to save Mfg $$. So while the "within" 6' rule used to work - in real life it no longer works all that great
One reason I put all my outlets much closer

And many Mfg warning labels & information are geared MORE to possible lawsuits & deniability in case of a problem then anything else
Some are written by people who have no clue what the code is or requires

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
I think one issue is that appliances, lights etc are all being made with shorter cords now to save Mfg $$. So while the "within" 6' rule used to work - in real life it no longer works all that greatOne reason I put all my outlets much closerAnd many Mfg warning labels & information are geared MORE to possible lawsuits & deniability in case of a problem then anything elseSome are written by people who have no clue what the code is or requires
1St* Possible however Code is the Minimum.2nd* Yes this could be true. Many people are quick to sue. Wanting to get the quick buck. Ever wondered why a ladder has the warning not to stand on or above this step, And why Mickey D's has a warning label on their coffee?Though if you follow the UL listing and Mfg instructions it will keep you out of most problems.Also with my profession I have to tell you the Code and Legal jargon. If I did not I would not be living up to my Oath as an Officer of the Courts.Have a wonderful evening!*

JWelectric

Reaction score
Well I asked the man who was mowing the right of way down the street and he said do what ever you want to do cause that is what you are going to do to start with.

Now if anybody knows what they are talking about it would be him.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
1St* Possible however Code is the Minimum.2nd* Yes this could be true. Many people are quick to sue. Wanting to get the quick buck. Ever wondered why a ladder has the warning not to stand on or above this step, And why Mickey D's has a warning label on their coffee?*

One ladder company (all?) had to modify "place on firm ground" to "each & every time you use it" as one homeowner placed the ladder on frozen ground. Then came back to use the ladder again & the ground had thawed & they fell. Homeowner sued & the frontal lobotomied jury found in HO's favor

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

quotes;
What makes you think it will be plugged and unplugged more often with a cord than if it were directly into the socket. The reason for not recommending an extension cord is that some unenlightened people consider ALL cords equal as long as a device can plug into them, and has nothing to do with loss of tension and impedence.May have something to do what what was said here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichaeljmoore
When the treadmill is not in use, it will be unplugged....so there are no issues of someone falling over the cord....

I believe I covered that when I asked why a cord would have more problems than the machines plug, since they would be inserted the same number of times, regardless of how the receptacle was accessed.

i
progress.gif

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
One ladder company (all?) had to modify "place on firm ground" to "each & every time you use it" as one homeowner placed the ladder on frozen ground. Then came back to use the again & the ground had frozen & they fell. Homeowner sued & the frontal lobotomied jury found in HO's favor

Ah yes no real justice in mans world! Try to protect yourself as best you can, no true justice. I once read " Man rules man to his injury" Clear case!

Sad but true.

We need the higher goverment to step in as promised.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Also it proves there can be problems when you dont follow the MFG instructions and the UL listing.

Just because a fancy Lawyer can bedazle a group of jurors is not a reason to do things you are warned aganist.

Besides that the Lawyer probably got most of the reward from that jury!

Reaction score
That should be OK...but find the rating plate on the treadmill that gives all the electrical specs and post what it says on there...

According to the tag, here are the specs for the treadmill:

120V
60Hz
13A

if you need more info, let me know.

thanks.
mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks