Extending shower drain barell

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by matty180, Sep 7, 2008.

1. matty180

matty180 New Member

Hi, new to the board,

I was wondering if anybody knows where to get a extended shower drain barell. 2" ips. I need one that is about 3 inches long from the top of the drain to the end of the threads. All of the ones I have looked at are only about 2 inces in total length. Or if somebody can tell me how to extend it. It has to be a nice drain it is for a travertine shower floor.

Thanks Matt
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

How about posting a picture of where you need to use this?
  3. matty180

matty180 New Member

It's for a shower drain. My mud base is about 1 3/4 " thick and I ran out of adjustment. I am just looking for a longer drain barell or a way to extend the threads.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It doesn't sound like the pan is constructed correctly. A shower pan normally is made up of multiple layers, a preslope, liner, then setting bed, then top layer of tile. The drain would be set so the clamping layer is at the level of the preslope so that the weep holes would be in the setting bed. A setting bed wouldn't normally be that thick, allowing room for enough adjustment to become flush with nearly any normal tile used in a shower.

Can you describe how it is constructed? If you want to read the proper construction technique, check out www.johnbridge.com. They've got numerous articles in their 'Liberry' (sic).
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Thats why I was asking for a pic...
    It definitely sounds like something isn't right.
  6. matty180

matty180 New Member

It is constructed properly. Thin layer of thinset (to bond mix to plywood),then preslope, then felt paper, then liner, then mud. This is a no curb shower where the bathroom floor will be flush with the shower floor. The bathroom floor was rasied 3/4 " so I need some extra thread. All I am looking for is somewhere to get a longer barrell.

thanks matt
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

They are not generic, so what you have is probably all that is available for your drain. Now, if it were a commercial shower with a Josam, Wade, or similar housing, then there are ways to elevate it, but probably none for your drain.
  8. matty180

matty180 New Member

isn't a 2" ips thread standard? It's a watts commericial grade drain.

matt
  9. James_B

James_B New Member

none for drain
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Have you got a watts p/n for your drain?
  11. matty180

matty180 New Member

Watts proline SDCP.
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

13. matty180

matty180 New Member

Thread size is 2 inch ips.