Extending Riser on P-Trap on shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank Pampanelli

Reaction score
New to forum, tried searching before posting.

I have a question on a shower riser that I am working on in my home. Our master shower (tiled) leaked and I am replacing the shower pan. I am going to cut out the old Oatley shower drain and install a Schluter drain.

I want to cut the current riser (2" PVC) on the p-trap. I want to extend the riser with a coupler to allow the Schulter drain to connect in. The current riser above the p-trap is to the bottom of the Oatley drain is 6".

Is it alright to cut the riser and add a coupler to it? I could replace the entire p-trap and use a coupler to the waste line. I never had a problem with the p-trap (smell) and like to reuse it unless I should not ? Don't know if it is a code violation or possible failure in the future. If it is fine to cut and extend with a coupler , is there any suggestions where to place the coupler closer to the top , in the middle , or closer to the bottom of the riser

Frank
Central , SC

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to check very carefully is if the riser is plumb. With the quite large diameter of this type of drain (designed to accept a surface waterproofing membrane with no weep holes), if the riser is at all out of plumb, you won't be able to get the drain to sit flat. If it is not plumb, it might be better to remove the existing p-trap, and make it that way. Depending on the drain that was there, it might have been bolted down, and could overcome some amount of tilt...it's got to be nearly perfect for any of these large diameter drains like the Schluter one to work (they're not the only one, this applies to all of them this type).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks