extending galvanized piping under a vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacyly

Reaction score
I have a friend who needs to change her 48" long bathroom vanity. It has a sink near one end, and the plumbing terminates there. New vanities have cutouts for sinks only in the center, she's been told, so she needs to extend the galvanized supply piping to the new sink. Oh, I just thought about the drain... Well, anyway, can someone here tell us how to do this? She was told that she'd have to pay a plumber almost a thousand dollars for the job... But, we're both good with our hands so if it's possible, we'll do it ourselves... Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep looking for a vanity - there are some where the opening for the sink is on the end. You can also get a modular system (just like kitchen cabinets) and make it up any way you want. I just bought a similar one at Home Depot - go to their kitchen bath design center. You can get one at any similar place. Now, you may not be able to find a pre-made one-piece sink/counter with the sink at the end, but anything you want can be made up in either formica, stone, or any solid surface material, or you could tile your own.

Galvanized supply lines tend to corrode and get plugged up. If you are lucky, yours are still in good shape (depends a lot on your incoming water). Most people aren't lucky! You may find you need to replace them anyways.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Halloween Story

$1,000.00 sounds like part of a Halloween story but it could be a Christmas story for me if I got that for two hours work. Might then turn into a nightmare if I got charged for fraud. Funny how an attorney can charge $500.00 an hour but it's unfair for a plumber to.
You can easily get vanities with the bowl located whereever you want. I think you can even order them from the box stores. If she does select a center bowl then you can extend your water lines with 3/8" faucet supply lines. You're only moving from 15" off the edge to 24" so you can probably do the 9 inches with an offset slip extension from the trap adapter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fraud?

It is not fraud if you do the work and they pay you for it. If it were fraud many of the franchise plumbing companies would be paying most of their overcharges to attornies to keep them out of jail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks