Exposed Pex in house?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dripdrip, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dripdrip

dripdrip New Member

Hi, I want to install some pex for baseboard heat in my house. The pex would have to be exposed in some of the rooms. (No attic or basement.) We don't really care that much about the look, but I'm worried about UV exposure. Is there some sleeve or something I can use to protect the pex? (I think insulation is otherwise unnecessary and would just add bulk.)

Thanks,

DD
  2. paint it with latexs paint

I think you can simply paint it with latex paint to seal off
    the pipe from the uv exposure.....

check with the place you bought it from
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Uv

Is it where the sun can shine directly on it? If not it will not have UV exposure.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

So put it where the sun don't shine.
  5. jdgoodman

jdgoodman Journeyman Plumber

Sunlight is not the only killer of pex piping. A fluorescent lamp or fluorescent tube is a gas-discharge lamp that uses electricity to excite mercury vapor. The excited mercury atoms produce short-wave ULTRAVIOLET light that then causes a phosphor to fluoresce, producing visible light. Its not much but over time it will destroy the pipe.
  6. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

Does pex 'radiate' as well as copper does? You cant just have a bare pipe sitting in the covers, it has to have those little heat sinks/fins on it to radiate more efficiently.

How hot is the water going through the pipes? Pressure and temperature determine the lifespan of all piping, so make sure it is approved for the application.

There is UV rated pex out there.