Experience with Architectural - Designer Brands

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Dornbracht only guarantees to have repair parts for 10 years from the date they quit making the product. After that their faucet MAY be absolute garbage or your stuck with having to have a part custom manufactured for it.

To me thats not acceptable for a faucet that could cost a few thousand dollars........or really any faucet.

Delta/Brizo for faucets
Toto for toilets
Kohler for cast iron and jetted tubs.
Elkay for stainless steel kitchen sinks

I also like Grohe ladylux kitchen sink faucet.

Those are pretty much my first choices.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Heh. The spray button on my Ladylux went bad after a couple of years.
Ended up buying 2 since I figured after shipping , its easier having another on hand.

Nevertheless, after putting DIY on replacing it , some smart plumber advised I should have taken up on Grohes lifetime warranty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lifetime warranty is ALWAYS the best way to go, but some manufacturers still only have a one year period. As far as "designer' valves are concerned, in many cases they use a basic valve, such as Delta, Moen, Central, or Price Pfister, and then create fancy, and expensive, trim for it, but the working parts are still the original manufacturers.

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have Dornbracht installed in my home for 17 years. Two Master lav faucets and a tub filler in the Madison Series. They still look and work like new. I just keep them clean and treat them nice, and they return the favor. I have had Hansgrohe in my children's bath for 10 years. A Pheonix thermostatic shower pipe and a Carlton wide spread lav faucet. These are also holding up very well, although they are not cared for in quite the same manner. I have all DuraVit fixtures, toilets (two floor mounted, and one wall hung) Two pedestal sinks, and two drop in sinks. These are very high quality. You can also order them with wondergliss which is a second process that makes the surface bead the water. The DuraVit products are fantastic. Designed with style and class, and not overdone.

I have worked Technical Service for Dornbracht and Hansgrohe, so I have been in the know for complaints from customer's. I can say that either company has an incredibly low percentage of complaints, and that most complaints arrise when new pipes are not flushed of solder paste and debris, before trim out and from remodeling with old service stops who's seat washers haven't been used in years.

To many people bathroom design, style, and craftsmanship are everything, to others it's just a place to do your business. I like to show mine off.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
It has been my experience that the more money a person pays for a fixture the less their willing to pay you to install it. They think its suppose to last forever without repair or service and when its time to buy parts they complain about how much the parts cost.

My advice to people is buy what you can afford and still have the money left to pay for a professional installation and maintain it for the life of the fixture.

Dont buy a 600.00 faucet and complain when it costs you a couple hundred to repair it. High price does not always equal quality.

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Hackney Plumbing. That is why I drive a Dodge truck instead of a BMW. I would like to own a BMW and think they are great cars, but I know I couldn't afford the payments or maintenance costs. However I also know that many people do drive BMW and can afford it.

Buy what you can afford and make sure it is the best you can afford before putting it into your walls and under expensive tile or stone. Make sure the valve is right for your needs. Does it provide enough water flow and give you the features you need? Measure twice and cut once rule applies. Once the tile is up it is a bad time to realize you don't have the right plumbing in the walls.

Some homes just deserve nice plumbing. I can't stand to see cheap plumbing fixtures in a Million+ home. It's just sad.

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks