expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ddenney

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the location an expansion tank should be installed in regard to a water heater? Also should the tank hang below the water line or be above it?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can be anywhere in the supply line after the PRV, but the usual place is between the water heater and the PRV. The exact orientation of the tank is not important, but it must be supported. I think the best way is to install it so that it hangs below the pipe. That way the pipes can be strapped to a floor joist on both sides of the tank and provide excellent support. However, sometimes the physical location of the pipes make that difficult or impossible, and then other means of support must be provided. There are several suggestions on the Watts box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks