Expansion tank, suggestions to brand an size.

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
I will be replacing my 17 year old AO Smith, 50 gallon electric water heater. The current installation does not have an expansion tank but current code requires one.

This is a closed system w/backflow.

Static water pressure is 70 PSI
I plan on installing a 6 year, GE 50 gallon medium height electric WH from Home Depot
Typical cold water temp is 65dF winter and 80 dF summer
I plan on setting water heater temp to 140dF and using a mixing valve set to 120dF

What tank to use. Amtrol 2 gallon, Amtrol 4.4 gallon or Watts DET-5, 2.1 gallon?

JR

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would also suggest a pressure regulator valve. 70 psi is a bit too much pressure, especially if there are higher spikes. As far a expansion tank brands, I suppose there are differences in opinions on this, but I have a Watts that has been working just fine for several years. As I recall, HD carried 2 sizes, and there was a chart on the boxes to guide the buyer on sizing. I don't think the size is overly critical. Just balance at air pressure with the water pressure. Another reason to lower the water pressure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
I will be replacing my 17 year old AO Smith, 50 gallon electric water heater. The current installation does not have an expansion tank but current code requires one.

This is a closed system w/backflow.

Static water pressure is 70 PSI
I plan on installing a 6 year, GE 50 gallon medium height electric WH from Home Depot
Typical cold water temp is 65dF winter and 80 dF summer
I plan on setting water heater temp to 140dF and using a mixing valve set to 120dF

What tank to use. Amtrol 2 gallon, Amtrol 4.4 gallon or Watts DET-5, 2.1 gallon?

JR

UPDATE:

I went with a 6 year GE 50 gallon electric WH from HD and a Watts DET5 2 gallon expansion tank. I used the Honeywell AM1 mixing valve from my old home.

I've had good luck with the 6Yr 50 gallon GE electric heaters from HD. Reading reviews, the gas versions seem to be more problem prone. Time will tell.

It took longer to drain the old heater than install the new one.

JR

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks