Expansion tank sounds like mice are inside of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

plumberenvy

Reaction score
About a year or two ago my father replaced my hot water heater and also used a thermal expansion tank. Recently I have heard a sound coming from the tank. It sounds like squeaking mice - is this sound normal to be coming from the tank? Should I have a plumber come out and check???

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like the bladder inside rubbing on the sides of the tank.

To see if your tank is working turn off the water at the valve trhat shuts of the water to the whole house. Then go to a faucet and turn on the water.

The water should run for 30 seconds or longer if it only runs for a few seconds and stops you need to replace the tank.

plumberenvy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. If it needs to be replaced how much should I expect to pay?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
doubt that if you are hearing any noise it is bad...but maybe.

Where do you live, that will make a difference.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are handy and have a couple of 12" channel locks we can walk you through the replacement of it.

Basicly the tank unscrews and the new one screws back on.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Or call a pro.

Around $200.00 plus the service call charge. The tank will be properly charged (not factory charged) and installed. You will not have to go find the proper tank (around $50 plus tax plus your time and fuel). You will not have to buy a water gauge ($10 plus tax) which you will use this once and probably never again to insure your water pressure is in proper range. Or do it yourself and hope you do it correctly and save around $150 or so. Oh yeah, if you do not do it correctly you will have just wasted your time and money because the tank will not do what you expect it to do. It is not as simple as screwing the old one off and screwing a new one in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to know the house's water pressure, then fill the air bladder to that pressure, then you basically use some pipe dope and teflon tape, (or you could use one or the other), and unscrew the old one, and screw the new one on. the fill valve is just like putting air in your tire. Just don't way overfill it or you could damage it. Depending on how strong you are, since the thing is fairly big around, you may not even need a wrench to take it off and install a new one. When removing and replacing, make sure you've turned to water off and relieved the pressure. If the old one is full of water, it could weigh 25-30 pounds depending on its size.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Around $200.00 plus the service call charge. The tank will be properly charged (not factory charged) and installed. You will not have to go find the proper tank (around $50 plus tax plus your time and fuel). You will not have to buy a water gauge ($10 plus tax) which you will use this once and probably never again to insure your water pressure is in proper range. Or do it yourself and hope you do it correctly and save around $150 or so. Oh yeah, if you do not do it correctly you will have just wasted your time and money because the tank will not do what you expect it to do. It is not as simple as screwing the old one off and screwing a new one in.

Basically the tank unscrews and the new one screws on.

This is not rocket science.

We can walk you through the set up and replacement if you have a couple of 12" channel locks.

Most plumbers will not go through the precharge part of installation so doing it your self will most likely get you a better job, because we will.

Finding a competent plumber is hard regardless of where you live.

If you can find one hold on to them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks