Expansion Tank Questions & Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Nothing was "dumped" on the next guy as the parts had been replaced and we didn't do without hot water for very long from what I recall. Info about repair was in disclosure. What exactly do you think they would get from a call to Whirlpool if something fails now? The parts were already replaced and the water heater is out of Whirlpool warranty. There is simply no reason to expect the same problem since it went 5 years without happening again...and the problem components were gone. Are you so dense that you can't understand this? I not only don't expect it to require repair under the home warranty, I expect it will last until the tank leaks. Based on the life of its predecessor, and what people say about tank life in recent years I expect that to be another 3 to 7 years.

A smart plumber would have kept one of the off the shelf Whirlpool thermostat/gas control valves and one of the TC's in his van/truck so that he wouldn't have to run around town when he came across one of these...they were pretty generic at the time and the water heaters were common. The valves weren't that pricey to have in inventory and doing so could save several hours or the ridiculously expensive solution of changing out a tank because parts were unavailable, when only the gas control valve was actually needed. But, this lack of inventory forethought isn't a surprise to me. In my experience in several states plumbers often show up without the most basic fittings, valves, and bushings in their vans (despite having the job explained/scheduled in advance.) I end up loaning tools and sometimes going out for parts.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Nothing was "dumped" on the next guy as the parts had been replaced and we didn't do without hot water for very long from what I recall. Info about repair was in disclosure. What exactly do you think they would get from a call to Whirlpool if something fails now? The parts were already replaced and the water heater is out of Whirlpool warranty. There is simply no reason to expect the same problem since it went 5 years without happening again...and the problem components were gone. Are you so dense that you can't understand this? I not only don't expect it to require repair under the home warranty, I expect it will last until the tank leaks. Based on the life of its predecessor, and what people say about tank life in recent years I expect that to be another 3 to 7 years.

A smart plumber would have kept one of the off the shelf Whirlpool thermostat/gas control valves and one of the TC's in his van/truck so that he wouldn't have to run around town when he came across one of these...they were pretty generic at the time and the water heaters were common. The valves weren't that pricey to have in inventory and doing so could save several hours or the ridiculously expensive solution of changing out a tank because parts were unavailable, when only the gas control valve was actually needed. But, this lack of inventory forethought isn't a surprise to me. In my experience in several states plumbers often show up without the most basic fittings, valves, and bushings in their vans (despite having the job explained/scheduled in advance.) I end up loaning tools and sometimes going out for parts.

you are a hoot... any smart plumber would carry one.... so why is that...??
I have already stated that we did that for a while but found that about half the time the parts
never fixed completely the problems for very long. so we could not warranty repairs on that junk..

. Are you too dense to remember this??

Why would anyone actually in business be wanting to bail out some hardware store tightwad that
installed a Whirlpool water heater themselves in the first place???
They were too cheap to buy a good unit from me which I could repair....
So now I should carry spare Whirlpool parts around with me
just in case I might need them someday .
Their are thousands of complaints on
the internet from folks that have repaired their water heater over and over and over again...
so somehow I should want wade into this mess head on??
That does not make good business sense...

The only folks that would call would be some ..skinflint.. cheap-ass like you
You would call only out of desperation and probably argue and whine about the price
of the parts and the labor..bill . most likely holding a stop watch while we work to be sure
I dont cheat you on your labor..;);).
and then also expect me to warranty the job even though we told you before we ever
started the job that there is no guarantee on the junk..
trying to cater to the cheapest bottom feeders in town.....like you.
does not sound like a smart thing to do to me.....

(Runs, that might be the reason no one works on whirlpool--- :D:D)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I didn't say anything, but I could have told him what he needed for crying out loud. He was a nice enough guy though,

I think I am also a "nice enough guy", and I also do NOT have "tool box". I also would not need YOU to tell me what tools I needed. You tell me what your problem is and then go watch television while I do my job, even if it does mean that I have to go out to the truck to get additional tools.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks