Expansion Tank Question - Boiler forum

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by LD, Jul 14, 2009.

1. LD

LD New Member

Sorry I posted this in the water heater forum by mistake so I am repeating here.

I have an expansion tank over my boiler. I came in to catch it dripping down the side and noticed the hard water evidence of prior dripping onto the boiler.
    Is it supposed to be doing this? How does it need to be adjusted? If this is important then I need to call a plumber. Thanks in advance
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

A picture would be helpful. But any sort of leak should be repaired.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

While it could be the connection to the tank, it is probably more likely the tank is shot. It should be primarily filled with air. If you rap it with your knuckle, you should be able to tell if it is full of water or not. If it is full, it is almost certainly shot...replace it.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The nice thing about expansion tanks is they are easy to replace. If it's full of water, it will be heavy and since they are often awkward, use care when unscrewing it.
  5. patsfan78

patsfan78 Web Development | HVAC

Replace it

Unfortunately, sounds like you need to replace it. But the good note, is that they are relatively inexpensive and require no real plumbing knowledge. Purchase a good one, the kind with a bladder inside. If it is full of water it will be heavy so don't drop it on your foot.:)

Good Luck

http://www.hitechheat.com
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You forgot to mention that the boiler needs to be shut off. The pressure needs to be drained, and if the boiler is up to temperature, the water dripping out will be scalding hot. The tank needs to be properly sized and the pressure in the tank needs to be correct. Not exactly what I would call a DIY job.