expansion tank issues

Users who are viewing this thread

James W

Reaction score
Just had an expansion tank added and now have a whistling noise at the pressure valve when flushing a couple of toilets and seems to be lower pressure in the system. why would an expansion tank have affected flow?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you use a gauge and air pump to balance the pressure in the expansion tank to match the PRV pressure setting? I'm not sure what an imbalance would do, but they are supposed to be balanced.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just had an expansion tank added and now have a whistling noise at the pressure valve when flushing a couple of toilets and seems to be lower pressure in the system. why would an expansion tank have affected flow?

I have never ran into this problem per say but generally that whistling noise comes from the PRV when it's gummed up a bit or not acting properly. The velocity of the water makes it whistle at high speeds. You can also get the same sound from y-strainers etc.

I hope this helps.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Prv

IT doesn't. Whatever happened is coincidental to the tank's installation. If you had to turn the water supply off, the valve could have failed when it was repressurized.

James W

Reaction score
blocked connection

if one of the connections had been oversoldered when installing the tank could tis have caused a drop in pressure? very high whistling noise when flushing toilets after installation complete

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Change the PRV. Whistling, humming, vibrating all happen when the disc in the valve has worn over the years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks