Expansion tank after filters/softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

nelsonr

Reaction score
One of the reasons for an expansion tank in a closed system is to allow for expansion due to the water heater. With my current setup that works fine:
Well -> expansion tank -> well pressure sensor -> UV -> water heater

I'm planning on adding filters and a water softener after the pressure sensor:
Well -> expansion tank -> well pressure sensor -> 50 micron sediment (we sometimes have large particles I don't want in the softener or 5 micron filter) -> softener -> 5 micron sediment (prevent UV shadow) -> carbon block (prevent UV shadow from tannins + remove radon) -> UV -> water heater

Again assuming this is a closed system, as the water is heated couldn't that cause water to go backwards through the filters and softener to the expansion tank? Should this be concerning? If so, I assume I should be installing a backflow preventer after the filters/UV, which then would mean adding a second expansion tank right before the water heater:

Well -> expansion tank -> well pressure sensor -> 50 micron sediment -> softener -> 5 micron sediment -> carbon block -> UV -> backflow preventer -> expansion tank -> water heater

I haven't seen anyone recommend this so I assume it's not necessary? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Again assuming this is a closed system, as the water is heated couldn't that cause water to go backwards through the filters and softener to the expansion tank? Should this be concerning? If so, I assume I should be installing a backflow preventer after the filters/UV, which then would mean adding a second expansion tank right before the water heater:
Yes, water would very slowly go backwards. No, it should not be concerning. Yes, if you added a backflow preventer (check valve) you would need an expansion tank after the check valve, but don't think you will want such a check valve.

nelsonr

Reaction score
Yes, water would very slowly go backwards. No, it should not be concerning. Yes, if you added a backflow preventer (check valve) you would need an expansion tank after the check valve, but don't think you will want such a check valve.

Thanks for confirming. I couldn't think of any situation flow backwards would be blocked or would be a problem; even during softener regeneration it's open and you can use water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks