Expanding foam around pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We've had a horrible problem with stink bugs this year, they only prevention I've heard is to try to seal up every tiny crack in your house that they may be getting in through. The bathroom is over the garage, and there's a large hole in the garage ceiling drywall where the drain pipes come down (the person who remodeled never patched the hole). The bugs may be coming in through the opening under the vanity, where the drain pipe goes into the wall, because that's open directly into the garage. The expanding foam should completely seal this hole, preventing their entry, but should I be concerned that it would make them hard to access should they ever need to be repaired or replaced? The piping is PVC and about 15 yeas old, and as far as I can tell, seems to be in good condition.

Thanks,
Joy

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if the foam will keep the bugs out or not, but what do you think will happen to PVC pipe as it ages? It doesn't rust, rot, or corrode. It won't fall apart or weaken with age. If sometime there comes a need to remove the pipe or remove the foam, it came be cut out without too much effort. In other words, I see not reason not to try it, it isn't going to hurt anything, won't cost much, and can be removed if desired.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Okay thanks, that's what I wanted to know! My plumber doesn't like the makeshift repairs my husband makes because he (my plumber) says they just make his job tougher, and I didn't want to do anything without asking an expert's advice! I don't know if it will keep the bugs out, but that is a big hole. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just don't put so much in the hole that it expands and cracks the bottom of the vanity.

Nate R

Reaction score
Stink Bugs? Or Box Elder Bugs?

boxeld1.jpg

Blumengarten

Reaction score
No, even worse! They're Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, imported from China to New Jersey about a decade ago and they reached western Pennsylvania last year, and have infested nearly all my neighbors' houses. They are absolutely disgusting and EVERYWHERE!:eek:

brownmarmorated.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks