existing line or pvc?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by data note, Jun 20, 2006.

1. data note

data note New Member

:confused: : I recently noticed that my cast iron closet flange has separated from the pipe to the main.

after spending a couple of hours I noticed that the pipe that connects to the main and closet flange is not supported by a hanger. to my assumption I believe that after so many years it has actually pulled away from the closet flange. my question is can that be the reason that I now have this problem?

I believe that the line is not properly pitched because when I look inside of it I can see water. now that I have come to this situation should I consider on changing the line to a pvc line or just have a plumber place a hanger on the existing pipe. I understand that if the water stands in the pipe for a while It will rot out the pipe.

Also, could the possibility of the standing water be because I have an existing clog further down the line which would add weight to the pipe that would cause it to settle as it has.

I would greatly appreciate a reply and thank you in advance. data
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Does the pipe slope? Do you have a level? Check it out. If the toilet flange has slipped off of the pipe (shouldn't happen), and it is still in good shape, it could probably be put back on. That may allow the pipe to regain the proper slope. The joint downstream will probably need to be repaired as well. You could replace it all with PVC back to where that piece goes into the main stack.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

Since it is almost impossible to separate a flange from the pipe, even when you want to, for it to separate on its own indicates you have a bigger problem, but we cannot tell you what it is without seeing your piping.
  4. data note

data note New Member

the house is 80 years old do you think that a hanger should have been placed for support?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Properly installed, the pipe would not come out of the connection. Now, if somebody used that pipe to regularly do pull-ups, maybe, but still probably not. PVC sags a little (sometimes) but cast iron won't.