Existing iron gas pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

Snikwah

Reaction score
I am wanting to install a short gas line to the patio for a new natural gas grill. The existing gas line goes from the meter at the back of the property in the alley and is buried in the backyard up to the house. Then it comes up and into the home. Where the grill sits is about 10 feet from this existing pipe. What I want to do is remove the existing elbow and replace it with a Tee to come over to the grill.

My question is, how exactly is the best way to get this existing pip apart, remove the elbow and replace it with the Tee? The reason for my confusion is when looking at the direction of the threads, there just doesn't appear to be any way to remove it easily. the part going into the home is not able to be turned and I'm assuming the part going into the ground would be the same way. So I'm not sure how this can be done. At first look, it seemed like a pretty straight forward job but now I'm not so sure. I will also post some pictures of the pipe.

Snikwah

Reaction score
IMG_0463.JPG

Here's the full pipe section. Coated at the bottom goes into the ground and the top the elbow goes into the house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. That union is where the pipes separate.
2. YOU should not be doing gas piping.
3. You probably do not have access to the correct materials or the knowledge of HOW to do it. Gas pipe is different from water piping.

Snikwah

Reaction score
IMG_0466.JPG

Here's the top detail with thread direction.

IMG_0467.JPG

And the bottom detail.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You work from the union side. It's easier if there is some movement on one end. Like if the pipe in the ground could move some.
Know where the shutoff is first and make sure it is shutoff.
When done, you can take a spray bottle with liquid soap, spray the fittings and see if you get bubbles. Air bubbles come from leaks.

Snikwah

Reaction score
You work from the union side. It's easier if there is some movement on one end. Like if the pipe in the ground could move some.
Know where the shutoff is first and make sure it is shutoff.
When done, you can take a spray bottle with liquid soap, spray the fittings and see if you get bubbles. Air bubbles come from leaks.
I have gotten the black pipe and fittings that I need, as well as the shutoff for the new line and also the spray bottle. The shut off is just below the regulator on the gas meter. I'm just stuck on how to actually remove that elbow and replace it with the Tee.

Just so I understand you correctly, the part that I need to turn is the union in that last picture? I was thinking that I could not have any movement on the coated pipe going into the ground, because I do not know what exactly is going on down there under ground. Are you saying that pipe will need to move, in order to remove the elbow?
IMG_0461.JPG

Here are the parts I have gotten for the run to the grill. I want to replace that elbow with that Tee, then up and over. The 1/2" pipe will be attached to the brick and the side of the patio with brackets and tapcon screws. The grill is just 10' from where the existing pipe is and the shut off will be at the end behind the grill.

Last edited:

Snikwah

Reaction score
I just looked up some videos showing removal of a "union"... it makes sense to me now. I was not aware that it was actually 2 pieces. I thought it was just one piece, like a coupling. I'm good to go now. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You should NOT use black pipe when it is exposed to the weather
2. The horizontal pipe should be at least 6" and preferably 12" above the ground, or underground if you use the RIGHT materials, which are not steel pipes.
3. Street elbows are NOT an approved fitting for gas lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the BTU rating of your grill...especially when you take into account all of the fittings and the distance, it may need a bigger line than what you have planned.

Where is your gas meter in this picture? Is the line high pressure or low pressure after the regulator? If the line shown goes inside to a gas meter, then you CANNOT tape into it before. The other big thing is: do you have a working shutoff so you could take that apart? Working with gas is dangerous unless you know what you are doing. It's one thing to maybe install a new flexible supply line to a stove or water heater, it's entirely a different story running a new line and tapping into an existing one. In some places, the gas company owns everything up to and including the meter, and touching it will get you into trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks