Existing double sink plumbing, venting question.

Users who are viewing this thread

William3

Reaction score
Hi,

We are remodeling an existing bathroom with a double sink and I would like to check to see if the previous plumbing was correct or if while doing it I should improve it.

The current setup I found when opening the wall is like this(Sorry for crude illustrations):
ventti.jpg

Now one change that does need made is a small riser for each drain connection. The new vanity is taller, and has a fixed self right where the current drain line is. So I would need to put a small riser and then drain into that. Any issues there?

Would something like this be better? Blue being the new vent, and where the riser meets the blue would be where the new sink drain ties in.
vent2tp.jpg

I hope that all made sense.

Appreciate any replies!
Thanks so much

William3

Reaction score
Any thoughts? I'm hoping to get this done and the wall closed up this weekend but little confused still.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your "now" drawing apparently does not come up. I am not sure HOW you would make that "T" connection where it goes left to the vent and right to the sinks, and do it properly, but there are easier ways..

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
P trap is missing in both diagrams. That is a big thing to know before advising. Then, it may be important to know the distances of certain segments of pipe, so there may be a long series of questions and answers before you get the important parts to be understood.

Meanwhile: go search and see images for "continuous waste outlet tubular".

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If the black line has no fixtures connected to it above, you can tie the vent into it if it goes 42in. above the floor, if there are fixtures connected you have to run your vent 42in. above THEM before you can connect into it.

William3

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still a bit confused. I tried to make a diagram with some more information so you can see the current setup of the plumbing.

bathroomp.jpg

That is how it would be right now if simply connected to the new vanity. This is an upstairs bathroom and nothing is connected above it. Both vents go up and tie into what goes through the roof.

Where the line actually goes down through the house is at the bottom of the image where it ties into a larger drain line and goes straight down. The red pipe is under the floor to get to that drain.

I looked into a continuous waste outlet tubular connection and that won't be possible with the vanity as it has a bank of drawers in the middle.

My concern is one if those 7" risers off the line are ok. And then the venting of each. Each vanity sink would have a trap that goes into those 7" risers.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the vent is below the outlet of the p-trap, it isn't really a vent. You can make the risers longer and go into the line. With the p-traps above the drain line, I think it ends up being s-traps.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those 7" risers make the drains "completely incorrect". They either have to have their own vents or be turned so they point "outward" horizontally from the drain line. (And even then there is a fundamental error, but it is done like that quite often.)

William3

Reaction score
I was afraid the risers would be an issue. Would either of these solutions be acceptable?

Here simply raising the line to the height of where I would need the vanity connection(20" above the floor). Still not sure about the venting for the right vanity. X being where each vanity connection would be.
raiseline.jpg

Or leave the line with riser but simply just vent up from there and connect to the other vent? The vanity connection would still be 7" above the horizontal drain line though. The connection where the 7" riser meets the blue line(new vent)

newvent.jpg

Greatly appreciate your help!

William3

Reaction score
So I gave in this week and had a plumber come out today with his partner. They simply wanted to leave it as is and put on the risers.. I didn't let them do the work, but I'm still at square 1 not really sure what the proper solution is.. heh

Any thoughts on the above attempts would appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks