Existing Cleanout Tie In

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtworker

Reaction score
I'm doing an additional half bath and need to tie in a 3" line that serves a toilet and lav far away. I already got some very helpful advice in another post about the rough in. To tie into the existing plumbing I either need to cut the longer vertical pipe shown in the attached photo and use two no-hub couplings to install a new 3x3x3 wye with a 45 or I would prefer to install a male adapter where the cleanout plug is threaded on the 4" line, add a 4x4x3 wye with a 3" 45 to go vertical, and run my 3" line to the far away fixtures. I would install the 4" cleanout plug on my new 4x4x3 wye so I still have that functionality. Wondering if two wyes right next to each other is acceptable as a general rule. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• PlumbingTieIn-Rotated.jpg
    PlumbingTieIn-Rotated.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
PVC is soft and inexpensive, and the icing on the cake is that you are in an open basement with plenty of workspace to do whatever you want.

You second idea would work, but you should consider long-term planning how one day you may want to hide all this. Your first idea with the shared vertical would give a lower footprint, and also get more "rinsing" from the more grey water passing down it.

Also, it is generally not a good idea to have plugs where water can potentially hoard, it can weaken threads and rot the rubber o-ring they usually have. It would better to append a 45 elbow on there, then a plug. That way, no hoarded water will ever touch the plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks