Existing 1 1/4" chrome plumbing trap retrofit. what would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
As can be seen in the picture below, I have an old 1 1/4" chrome trap that looks like it has been soldered near the wall. I know the drain lines pluming in this house is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" solid copper.

I am wondering if it would be too difficult to desolder this joint becuase it is of large diameter and too close to the wall (i have propane, not NAP gas)

The location of the drain in my new sink is slightly different than the old one.

How would you plumb this drain line? Can this chrome be cut and use a connector of some sort to the new drain? The good news is that this is hidden under the sink so I dont care if ABS or chrome is used. In my area, ABS is the only plastic that can be used above grade plumbing from what i understand.

how would you replumb this?
thanks
-g

Attachments

• P1000452.JPG
    P1000452.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 4,095

Gramps

Reaction score
As can be seen in the picture below, I have an old 1 1/4" chrome trap that looks like it has been soldered near the wall. I know the drain lines pluming in this house is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" solid copper.

I am wondering if it would be too difficult to desolder this joint becuase it is of large diameter and too close to the wall (i have propane, not NAP gas)

The location of the drain in my new sink is slightly different than the old one.

How would you plumb this drain line? Can this chrome be cut and use a connector of some sort to the new drain? The good news is that this is hidden under the sink so I dont care if ABS or chrome is used. In my area, ABS is the only plastic that can be used above grade plumbing from what i understand.

how would you replumb this?
thanks
-g
i dont' want to put in new copper. too much work. i would like to try your second suggestion.
does this mean i can cut the chrome pipe? (could this connector be used over chrome, and if so, does the chrome need to be sanded first?

Gramps

Reaction score
If that is copper coming out of the wall, I would use a no-hub connection. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-DTC-150-1-1-2-or-1-1-4-Drain-Trap-Connector

If you really want to go all-out, you could sweat a proper trap adapter to the copper.

If that is copper coming out of the wall, I would use a no-hub connection. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-DTC-150-1-1-2-or-1-1-4-Drain-Trap-Connector

If you really want to go all-out, you could sweat a proper trap adapter to the copper.

i would rather use the connector you suggested.. does the chrome need to be cut? sanded? for that connector peice to work?

Gramps

Reaction score
anyone? can the chrome drain pipe in the picture be cut to use the suggested no-hub connector?
I am familiar how to clean copper before inserting the no hub, but what about chrome?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I ran into that once in Seattle. Not something I wanted to see.
I like the idea of some sort of coupling rather than putting heat on that. If you put heat on that, be prepared to open the wall.
You can cut the tubular.

index.php

If that is copper out of the wall, then you may be okay though.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am familiar how to clean copper before inserting the no hub, but what about chrome?

You would want to remove any burr after your cut. Were you asking what kind of tool to use for that? 120 to 220 grit aluminum oxide sand paper would be sufficient for occasional use I would think. For the inside edge, I might wrap the sandpaper around a bit of 1 inch pipe. Your finger/thumb would work too.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The trap arm is soldered into inch and a 1/4 copper stub, the tubular trap can be heated out as it probably soldered with 50/50 solder.
Next you solder on a inch and a 1/4 trap adapter.

Gramps

Reaction score
You would want to remove any burr after your cut. Were you asking what kind of tool to use for that? 120 to 220 grit aluminum oxide sand paper would be sufficient for occasional use I would think. For the inside edge, I might wrap the sandpaper around a bit of 1 inch pipe. Your finger/thumb would work too.

my pipe cutter only goes to 1 1/8" . (for copper)

Should i get a larger pipe cutter, or is using a hacksaw sufficient? I know it is super hard to get a good cut with a hacksaw. i also have a sawsall, and oscillating tool, but i assume those are also bad.

what are the tool suggestions with cutting?
thanks

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would recommend staying far away from ANY fitting, such as that Fernco item, that claims to fit both 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 pipe/tube. You can get nice sturdy rubber couplers to fit whatever size copper you have coming out of the wall, and the other end can hold a standard
IPS-size trap adapter. You can, and should, cut the "chrome" drain tube off flush with the copper. That chrome-plated tube may well
be extremely thin and on the verge of falling apart. There is no need for outlandish accuracy,
anyone who is not severely handicapped can make a perfectly adequate cut with any of the tools you mentioned. Deburr with sandpaper or a file. The only prep the copper needs is to smooth down any paint or solder or plaster buggers so the rubber has a smooth surface to grip.

Gramps

Reaction score
If i cut the chrome flush with the copper (there might be enough room), then could i use a mission or fenco CK 1125 coupling to 1 1/2 ABS.
Does this sound like it could work?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks