Exhaust fan through soffit--how?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Bosun, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Bosun

Bosun New Member

Hi--I have a clay tile roof, so I will need to go through the small attic to the soffit, andf vent out the bottom of the soffit. Will I need to use a hole saw to get though the board where the house supports the roof?

1924 house, concerned about this install. I realize this post might be misplaced, but I can't seem to find a bath-fan forum anywhere!

bosun
  2. TJanak

TJanak New Member

I used 3" rigid metal duct for the whole run except for going between the roof and the top plate on the wall. In that 1' length I used flex because the opening was almost 3" tall but you need to make an immediate turn down to the soffit. I would not cut into the plate. I even tried to use a metal elbow but it would not quite fit and you can't squeeze them without failure. Not sure how yours looks though.
  3. Bosun

Bosun New Member

Yep--same sort of space betwen the top plate and the space betwen the roof rafters. I tried peeking up into the soffit yesterday by removing one of the exterior vents. full of insulation... (?)
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If it's between the rafters, it's not bearing.

You should be able to cut a hole for the bath vent.