Exhaust fan through soffit--how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bosun

Reaction score
Hi--I have a clay tile roof, so I will need to go through the small attic to the soffit, andf vent out the bottom of the soffit. Will I need to use a hole saw to get though the board where the house supports the roof?

1924 house, concerned about this install. I realize this post might be misplaced, but I can't seem to find a bath-fan forum anywhere!

bosun

TJanak

Reaction score
I used 3" rigid metal duct for the whole run except for going between the roof and the top plate on the wall. In that 1' length I used flex because the opening was almost 3" tall but you need to make an immediate turn down to the soffit. I would not cut into the plate. I even tried to use a metal elbow but it would not quite fit and you can't squeeze them without failure. Not sure how yours looks though.

Bosun

Reaction score
Yep--same sort of space betwen the top plate and the space betwen the roof rafters. I tried peeking up into the soffit yesterday by removing one of the exterior vents. full of insulation... (?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks