Exchange air between neighboring rooms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have a small bedroom right next to my living room. There is a mini split AC in the living room which more than cools that room and at night I usually leave the bedroom door open to get the cool air in, That's ok unless it's really humid.

Couldn't I build some sort of through wall air exchanger, say blowing air out of the bedroom up high near the ceiling and on one side of the room and then bring in the cool air through another opening on the opposite side of the wall (closer to the floor maybe?). Something simple with just a couple of good cfm quiet muffin fans which I would turn on before bed?

Wouldn't that help cool the bedroom? Do they make some sort of prebuilt product that does this for standard 2x4 walls?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some minisplits can be adapted to use ducts...I'd look at that first.

Panasonic makes some nice bathroom vents that are designed to fit in a wall verses a ceiling. The nice thing on those is that they have a decent cf/m flow, and are quite quiet. For comfort, you really want to have some of that cooler air coming in from up high so it can fall down. Otherwise, you'd end up with the floor being cool, and still have the heat up higher. Maybe combined with a nice ceiling fan. Or, you might look at a ducted fan, pull cool air from near the floor in the living room, and duct it up the wall so it could be exhausted up high. With a passive vent back into that room, you'd have some airflow and the fan would be more efficient. You'd probably want enough airflow to exchange the air in the room every 6-minutes, or 10x/hour. Say the room was 12x12x8', that's 1152cuft, or 192cuft/minute to get 10x per hour. You might get by with less. Some of the Panasonic fans are adjustable.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I enter fan through wall "room to room" as a search engine search, I get hits. I don't have experience or recommendations on any such products.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I think I'll try the cold air into the bedroom first, it's only 300 sq feet -- and I suppose by passive vent, the 2nd one wouldn't need the fan?
Going to do it -- the AC is more than enoguh for both rooms -- actually, just with the door open and a fan it's pretty cool in there. --thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks