Excessive TP use

Users who are viewing this thread

garypo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am helping a friend who is caring for her elderly mother, who is in the early stages of dementia, select a new toilet. I have not been to their house yet and don't know what toilet they currently have installed.

Her mother can not be monitored every time she uses the toilet and uses a crazy amount of toilet paper and over flows the toilet on an almost daily basis. I was looking at the Caroma toilets tonight with their 4" trapways. They looked really interesting. But, I don't know anything about them in actual use. My initial suggestion was to get standard toilet with larger 2 and 1/4 glazed trap ways. But, I'm not a plumber.

What we are looking for is easy to use for someone that might not be able to learn dual flush and can handle flushing what one should not expect a toilet to handle.

gary

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lok for one with a simple inverted "U" trapway, rather than those with turns and angles. The one I prefer, which is probably not available in your area DOES have that and is almost impossible to clog.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Caroma does have a large trapway, impossible to plug.
If someone uses lots of paper, they may want to consider using some water to clean with. It reduces the amount of paper used dramatically.
That can be done with a bidet seat or Washlet. Many countries that don't have the forrests that we have, clean this way. Using paper the way we do is unheard of in other parts of the world.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You might look into an automatic bidet toilet bowl conversion seat. I have been hearing such good things from health care workers over these seats. Gives older people and people with limited mobility a better chance of cleaning their private parts better. With less help.

Not that cheap....

whipple-washlet-s400.jpg

Something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Then Tell it. I like it when people look silly with these things.

One of my favourite shower selfie photos online is of a girl taking a picture of herself in the hotel bathroom. IT HAS A FOOT WASHER!

LOL

bathroom-selfie.jpg

Claythrow

Reaction score
Upstairs I have an American Standard (Champion 4 series I think) On the box it says it will flush a bucket of golf balls.

But if you can clog that thing, I would be amazed. It's just unstoppable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks