Evidence Of A Broken Sewer Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Majus

Reaction score
Heavy clay soil, likely PVC sewer line going to the main. Large metro area, but on the periphery of many small earthquakes per year due to fracking (Oklahoma). Water standing in small pools on the surface in an overall area of about twelve feet in diameter. Is this evidence of a broken or disconnected sewer line?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think so -- depending on what you mean by evidence.

A more likely theory would be a leaky water pipe, I think.

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is an outside cleanout, look down the hole. Is water standing? If not, I don't think a leak from a feared hole could cause surface water. Standing water would call for further investigation.

No outside cleanout? Is this your house? Basement? Overhead sewers? Is there high ground water causing leakage into basements in your area or causing your area to not have basements?

Is the wet area on the street side of the water meter or the house side? If the house side, I would think checking for a water leak would be your priority.

Majus

Reaction score
No water lines of any kind near the area of the standing water, only a large storm drain and the sanitary sewer main. These are all at the rear of the house; water lines are in the front.

The standing water is not mine, but is in a direct line with where the sewer line goes to a neighbor's house. I'm on the HOA Board which is why I am investigating it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gravity makes water go DOWN from a leak, so unless you have something in the house higher than the "pond" and something underground preventing the water from seeping downward, the "pond" is caused by a pressurized leak.

Majus

Reaction score
The house sits about four feet higher than the ponding water on sloping ground. I figured if the clay soil got saturated it could cause ponding like I'm seeing. I'm going to speak with the homeowner today and warn him about it. Next week I will call the city water department and see if they will take a look at it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Cleanout? Basement? Could this be water from a sump pump?

Is the homeowner part of your association?

Majus

Reaction score
No cleanout, no basement, no sump pump. One of things I did was try to see any indication of pressurized flow but the surface is very still. The homeowner is part of our Association, and he is responsible for repairing his sewer line.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
he is responsible for repairing his sewer line.
But you don't know IF it is his sewer line or IF it is broken. All the responses you have received indicate that is is unlikely. First PVC is pretty strong and is flexible to some extent. It would not only have to be broken or ruptured but there would also have to be a blockage after the break. Storm sewer is more likely or possibly an underground spring..

Majus

Reaction score
Underground spring is more likely. Not only is this area on top of an aquifer but I have been told it has underground water due to proximity to a very large lake (less than two city blocks east of me).

Majus

Reaction score
There's enough of it there to detect an odor, and there isn't any. I will call the City on Monday and ask them to check it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks