Ever have one of those days?

Users who are viewing this thread

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Ok, I've got to vent before my head starts spinning like Linda Blair and I call upon the plumbing gods to curse the "plumbers" who plumbed my house 13 years ago.

My son who has been in college in at Miami of Ohio has decided to transfer to the University of Cincinnati and asked if he could move back in. Of course I had to grumble and moan just to put on a good show, but inside I've been quite happy he's going to be home. He asked if we could finish the basement and make him a small apartment minus a kitchen (yeah....dad will of course STILL have to feed the beast) with him kicking in half the $$$ for the construction. Well needless to say we started really kicking some construction butt down there and got the walls framed up in just a few hours. Now comes the fun part....we busted up the floor for the bathroom. Nothing "big"....just a watercloset, shower and lav. Got everything installed in short order before the troops got home and started backfilling. Well, his girlfriend apparently had some intestinal issues and used a toilet on that particular line.....guess what? Suddenly I was watching something similar to the dancing fountains in Vegas shooting out of the shower p trap....except it was brown. Just as that began to settle down the washing machine started spinning......and WHAM...here comes the fountain again. It was so purty. At least the smell of TIDE with Bleach Alternative cut down on the "Oh my god my stomach is torn up" smell. Well after the dust settled so to speak and I had scratched a hole in the top of my mellon I grabbed a level and started checking all my work....yep 1/4" per foot fall (in the right direction, yes). Everything put in correctly to IPC for a horizontal wet vent system....ok scratch that mellon some more. So I call my buddy who owns a plumbing service company and go borrow his snake. I snake out the line and dont hit anything......so we turn on the washing machine to see if maybe I cleared it and just didnt feel it....not likely, but what the hell right? Again, fountains of sorrow all over the place. After that we bust up some more floor so I can get a level on the existing branch drain and VOILA there it is.....a full bubble of fall IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. So today I get to spend my Sunday fixing someone elses incompetance. I guess the only reason I never had issues with this before is due to the fact that nothing had been plumbed in the basement before and the washing machine pumped enough water to push any solids that had settled on through the pipe. I'm hoping the pipe will eventually start falling in the right direction. I'm trying to give the plumber the benefit of the doubt and blame the concrete man for stepping on the pipe during the pour. However, with the shoddy plumbing that is exposed in the basement, I'm having a VERY hard time with that.

I wonder what I can charge myself for this job.....I know budweiser stock is going to be going up as soon as I get this fixed. I never figured a little job like this would give me such a damn migraine. Well hip hip horrah and pass the V A L I U M lmao

Hope ya'lls weekend is going a bit better than mine.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, I have had those days and will continue to from time to time.

You must do all new construction.

You should be gratefull to the plumbing gods that were watching over you that they allowed you to see it happen B 4 the floor was poured and it was all back together. Did you think about that?

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Actually Cass, I did and I was ready to repour at the time it happened. Yes, I do all new construction and if this particular crew worked for me I'd fire every one of them without a moment's hesitation. I'm quite thankful that this happened before the pour, but my head still wants to do a couple of 360s and pray the plumbing gods rain poop and p traps upon the plumbing contractor's head. lmao I wont name the company that plumbed the place, but I'm sure you know of them.......on Mt Carmel-Tobasco Rd.

WHO-DEY!

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont blame the plumber

It drove me nuts quite often

the concrete guy usually will mess up a plumbers job
on about every slab home or basement I have been on

usually the floor drain ends up the highest point of the
basement or home because they mess with the drain when they pour the concrete.....
and are probably too stupid or drunk to really care

I had a few jobs that kitchen drains would occasionally stop up on
and we got blamed for it years later ....

I had to use re-barb stakes nailed into the clay
and my pipes wired to them so they could not move
them after I was done...

Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
We've been using these for some time now.
TOMAHAWK
DWV ground stake

* Prevents pipe from floating or moving during concrete pours.
* Polyethylene head model has no sharp edges and will not damage pipe if overdriven.
* Steel Head patent No. 4.826.111

Attachments

• Tomahawk.jpg
    Tomahawk.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 318

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'd stick a camera down that pipe if you can; there might be a great deal of piping that is sloping the wrong direction......turning it into a larger project than ever imagined.

Another reason I'm out of new construction; remember doing the plumbing for condo flats and those concrete guys instead of pulling a grade rake would run their bobcat over the entire area without a second consideration that the piping could crack/bust/go out of grade.

Then of course, we'd go to put the second rough test and off to get the jackhammer and concrete saw.

The plumber I worked for wouldn't even backcharge; it was always our fault if a pipe broke according to the builder.

Frustration I no longer deal with.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
today isone of those days.....

Rugged , I have had one of those days today..

but not with plumbing....

Started out this morning at 6.45,
with the wife is throwing up in the bathroom...
comming out both ends......what a joy.....
she has been sick as a dog all day long

been baby sitting three 8 year olds all day long

doing dishes, ordering pizza,

and maintaining continuity in the home

and at 8.00 pm she is still glued to the toilet

does that count as one of those days????

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Goodness, your not supposed to poison her on sundays

Better keep that case of toilet paper away from her....that equates to a clog.

Hope you've been shedding your clothes off in a confined area where the kids/wife can't get to; separate laundry facilities too.

What you bring home can cause many problems for your loved ones. You yourself are fine since your body builds an immunity to the bad stuff but something as simple as dirt under a fingernail or a used coffee cup heading to the dishwasher touched by someone other than you can trigger that bad situation.

Start forcing her to drink water or pedialyte or you'll be visiting the ER for hydration through a IV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks