Evaluating drain options

Users who are viewing this thread

amdskip

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have ripped out an old bathroom that consisted of a tub/shower, sink, and toilet all in a row. The room adjacecent to all of this had a kitchen sink. This is the drain that is visable on the lefthand side of my picture. The new plans call for leaving the tub/shower in the same position, moving the sink the rear of the view of the picture, and somewhat leaving the toilet alone.

The problem is that the toilet is really close to the righthand wall and that wall is made of 2x4's turned on their side. It is workable but not ideal. I would like to shift the toilet to the left just to help things out. It is my understanding that I can use a donut to tie into the cast iron and make things work. I think I can use a slightly angled fitting to move it over but I have not played around with any fittings yet to see what it would create.

The current shower/tub drains into the toilet closet bend which I'm guessing is not up to code/done anymore. I believe the solution here is to drain the tub into the kitchen sink drain on the far left but that has me wondering about the vent. The kitchen sink drain has a vent stack 5' away from it but I believe this would technically be a wet vent. The other option is to use the kitchen sink drain and the existing vent the tub currently ties into which goes into the main vent stack. I've attached a picture to try and display all of this as best as possible. Any advice that can be provided would greatly be appreciated!

marked.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your picture is not very clear, but if that is a sink "VENT", then it CANNOT be used for a tub drain, even though you want to call it a "wet vent". For all practical purposes, I think you, or a plumber, is going to have to remove the whole thing and do it over if you are planning on any major, or maybe even minor, revisions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks