Eroded hole in older sink

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by Atomic Teaspoon, May 17, 2011.

1. Atomic Teaspoon

Atomic Teaspoon New Member

I am in the process of buying a house and the list of things to fix is endless. It is a 203k loan, so every little thing has to be documented by a contractor (had one quote $50 for installing smoke alarms). :mad:

Anyway, the main bathroom has an older (house built in 79) sink with a hole eroded right near the drain, less than a half inch in diameter. Is there a legitimate fix that would patch that hole and satisfy building code? I'd much rather be able to do a temporary repair now and come back to replacing the sink, reinstalling fixtures, and retiling the countertop at a later date. Is there a feasible way to do this?
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You'd be better off getting an inexpensive or used sink and throwing it in there. I see people giving them away all the time after they remodel.
  3. Atomic Teaspoon

Atomic Teaspoon New Member

That's great to know. I didn't know used materials could be utilized.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Here a nice sink that was thrown away. It was rusting out from below and rusted above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Even a brand new steel sink is not expensive and would work for you just fine for as long as necessary. It's when your start getting in to cast iron and upper level fixtures that the money gets serious.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

"Code" does NOT care what the sink looks like, just that it work properly. Make any kind of repair you will be happy with.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You consider that to be a bad price for someone to purchase a smoke detector, drive to your home, install the smoke detector, using tools they own and maintain, then drive home or, back to their shop again?

I wouldn't do it at that price... I'm thinking 3 - 4 times that amount before I would barely consider it!