Equivalent of Ultramax II with round bowl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek87

Reaction score
hi Terry, et al.

after being very pleased with our Ultramax II for the past year, we are now considering replacing one or both of our remaining toilets with Totos.

the problem, however, is that one of the toilets to be replaced is round. theoretically, an elongated base will work as a replacement, but the extra couple inches will make things a couple inches tighter. my wife and i have yet to decide whether that lost space is relevant or not.

yet, if we were to want to find a round bowl, what are the recommendations? i see there is an Ultramax (first generation) with the same 1.28gal tank as our Ultramax II, but it doesn't come with the double cyclone which has been very nice and easy to clean (from hard water deposits, etc) as opposed to the "multiple holes."

any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks, Derek

Reach4

Reaction score
It has been pointed out that the elongated does not take away from your knee room while seated, but can take away some from your walk room.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The II series with the special glaze only comes in elongated, adding 1.5" to the length.
TOTO does have a Promenade round front with the glaze, but with the holes under the rim, not the Tornado Flush.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My own experience in installing a round bowl in one room and an elongated in another makes me realize that I should have just put in two elongateds. I measured and tried to visualize how difficult it would be to walk between the front of the elongated and the tub that is perpendicular to it, and I decided better safe than sorry. I now realize that the extra couple inches means nothing, and the elongated would have been preferable. Not a big enough deal to replace the round, but in retrospect I was too cautious.

Derek87

Reaction score
My own experience in installing a round bowl in one room and an elongated in another makes me realize that I should have just put in two elongateds. I measured and tried to visualize how difficult it would be to walk between the front of the elongated and the tub that is perpendicular to it, and I decided better safe than sorry. I now realize that the extra couple inches means nothing, and the elongated would have been preferable. Not a big enough deal to replace the round, but in retrospect I was too cautious.

thanks for your thoughts everyone. wmcandee, you were exactly in the same shoes we are in right now. it physically fits but will the lost few inches make a difference in space and moving about the in the room. i almost want to put something in there of that extent just to convince myself that the lost inches won't be a huge change...

if i can convince myself it's ok, i'd like to keep with what we have liked and worked well for us in our masterbath. the Ultramax II has be fantastic in all aspects and it makes sense to go with something that i know will work well (functionally) as long as it doesn't present a problem aesthetically as far as moving about in this cramped 2nd bath. (the builder saw fit to put a round one in there with two elongates in the other baths)

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe tape something to the front of your current toilet to match the protrusion.

While you are measuring things, check the rough-in space carefully. It may not be exactly 12.0 inches.

img_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that some round toilets can be as deep as elongated ones from other manufacturers...you must actually measure what you have AND the rough-in distance to verify how much any toilet will project from the wall. Toto does have decent measurements on their spec sheets, and you have the existing one to measure. But, that all will also be affected by where the rough-in actually is. Note, you can often 'fudge' a toilet's position on the flange by at least 1/4" and sometimes more without compromising operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks