EPA lead laws

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by brother, May 15, 2010.

1. brother

brother New Member

Im just curious as to how have any of you been dealing with this new 'change' in the Federal lead laws. Im sure it would up the price of any bid. I think this took affect in April 2010. I wonder what made the Feds go to this extreme with the lead laws.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Activists and money.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I translate that to mean IDIOTS and money!
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

What change in the lead law?
  5. brother

brother New Member

This is the other concern, ALOT of people don't even know about the changes, and may end up getting fined for it heavily.
    Heres a link to the pamphlet

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/sbcomplianceguide.pdf

Basically what has changed is that anyone 'disturbing' the wall/paint of more than 6 square feet has to be certified and had been through a class. This is about $250 for the class and an additional $300 for the application to the EPA to get the ceritification card.

So basically any of of you plumbing contractors cutting open a wall has to use proper 'lead protection procedures' and be 'ceritified' to do so.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It also only applies to work in houses pre-1978.