Enlarging/replacing main cold air return vent

Users who are viewing this thread

derekmadge

Reaction score
Hello-
A few years ago my old furnace was replaced and the noise at the main return air vent is excessive. (A smaller one on the second floor is not noisy.) It's tolerable if I remove the vent and move it out a half inch or so. There is also a bang from the ductwork when the fan shuts off. That air vent cover is unusual in that, from a side view, it is traingular shaped and the return vent is partly cut into the floor and partly into the wall; the house was built in the mid 70s I think.

I am confident that enlarging the return vent a bit will improve the noise and likely the bang when the pressure collapses. Larger versions of the existing vent cover don't seem to exist. I considered cutting more out of the wall and/or the floor- see diagram. Or I could install a larger area wall-only vent but the floor would be difficult to fill in. Alternatively I could fill in the wall cut-out with drywall and put a larger floor only vent; these are hard but not impossible to find and the ductwork below the floor vent grille would be easily visible.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and if so, how?

Attachments

• Vent.png
    Vent.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 659
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks