English Toilet Fill Valve Leaks

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Casterina, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Casterina

Casterina New Member

Recently my toilet is acting weird, after I flush the toilet, the water loads back to the tank normally but keeps on loading and not stopping going over the line limit, I've draw an arrow of the part when it's keep dripping the water

[​IMG]
  2. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

My computer at first blocked the photo but now shows it. I am unfamiliar with the setup; although I can make an educated guess as to diagnosis and treatment, I will defer to one of the pros who can tell you better.

I can tell you that in most toilets, simple, locally-available parts can be easily-installed to restore the guts to working order, and even to change the mechanics of how the toilet fills and flushes. The toilet is basically a china vessel and in most cases there is no one design of fill or flush hardware that is essential to make it work. There are exceptions, however, so that's why I'm deferring to the pros.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Would need to see more of the flush valve. If it has a conventionally sized hole for that, you can probably replace the whole guts with a generic valve like the Fluidmaster. If the hole is weird, or there's no room, you may have to get parts from the manufacturer. It sounds like there's either some crud caught in the seal or the seal itself is bad. On many, that's an easy replacement, IF you can find the parts. Yours doesn't look like one of the conventionally, readily available valves, but can't be sure without seeing the whole thing.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The problem for at least many of us is this appears to be a foreign (to us) toilet and fill valve. There should be a model # stamped inside the tank lid. Use that number when you contact the plumbing supply house. With any luck, there will be parts available at a reasonable price, however if the toilet is quite old, parts may not be available or may be very costly.
  5. Casterina

Casterina New Member

Should I take a image of the whole toilet to let you know if the part can be replaced?

The toilet is around 10-12 years old
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I have no idea what brands and types of toilet fill valves are available in your area - most of us are in the USA where there are lots of generic valves available at low cost (in the order of $10 US).

Your best bet may be to go to a local plumbing supply shop. Take a picture down from the top maybe at a slight angle so you can see the entire guts of the tank. A model of the toilet might help.