England starting to imitate America?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
They do make nice furniture.

I just wish they would use European growth.

American wood just don't cut the mustard

Overload your opium pipe today? Hit the liquor stash in the car trunk?

European wood? What wood? That crap they grow like corn in vast straight lines and mill at 8" diameter?

You need to be knighted by the king in England to cut an oak down. [one of the 6 not in a park]

Your beloved Beech is all illegal Siberian logged, a disaster to the environment under no rules whatsoever except bribes.

The few oaks left are in Eastern Europe and the Ukraine.

Let me see you buy 8 to 12" wide CLEAR oak for $1.57 delivered, kiln dried. You can quadruple that cost even in Romania.

Buying black walnut for $3.42 a foot - likely 15$ in Europe and American anyway.

Finally, we have REDWOOD, the king of woods. Because of our crash, I bought full rough all red 2x12's for .39 cents per board foot -several thousand feet. If I could get it to Germany, I could retire.

Look up Sugar pine and 'Sierra Pacific lumber company' privately held, and he owns about 7 million acres of private timberland - largest private timber company on earth. Try that in Europe or England. And all managed under extraordinarily strict rules.

Just reopened one mill in Chinese camp, Ca. -3 shifts, and the logs are finally rolling through town, 20 to 50 inch diameter, 40 feet long. These would go to a museum in England.

Just cut down a standing dead sugar pine on my land. 54" at the base. Plenty of dead smaller ones for the woodpeckers.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I prefer elm over any of this American funny stuff.

May be it's just the lack of craftsmanship here that turns good growth into bad chairs.

Originally Posted by Cookie
Nothing does in the US for you Ian.
So it seems, yet he remains

I have told you guys plenty of times that the burgers in the US are the best in the world. And the pumps here are good too.

I also like the smoked sausage.

And watching American drivers on the newly built roundabouts where I live is possibly one of the funniest things I will ever see!

They just don't know how to use them...because they were never properly taught to drive.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
They are pretty poor drivers, but the roundabouts are just unknown to them.

We had billions of elms, but killed off by the blight, like chestnut, one of the all time best woods, along with black locust. Ash is close to elm and quite cheap.

Why walnut, the king of all wood is so cheap is quite a mystery to me.

If you want sausage, you have to go to France or Eastern Europe. But now finally some artisan producers [always done my own from hoof to pan] are making real sausages again. And Edwards smokehouse, out by you is making true proscuitto hams from range berkshire hogs.

The best is blood sausage, but the Americans have never figured that out either, like roundabouts.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Police have released dramatic security camera footage they say shows masked and hooded rioters firing shots at unarmed officers and a police helicopter in the English city of Birmingham.

They hope the public will come forward with information as they investigate the violence that took place amid widespread rioting earlier this month.

The footage shows a group of 30 to 40 young men, dressed in black, in the Newtown area of Birmingham as they attacked a pub late on Tuesday, Aug. 9, West Midlands Police said in a statement.

As police tried to disperse the group, petrol bombs were thrown at a police car and shots were fired, police said. Officers believe the rioters intended to set fire to the pub.

Chief Constable Chris Sims said the incident was being treated as attempted murder and arson.

The force has taken the "unusual step" of releasing the footage because of the potential for serious harm to his officers and members of the public, he said.

"Eleven shots were fired at unarmed officers to enable disorder to continue, whilst petrol bombs were also thrown at officers who initially attended the scene," he said.

"This footage shows seemingly co-ordinated criminal behaviour with no regard for people's lives, whether it be through the setting of a fire, shooting at unarmed officers or shooting at the police helicopter."

West Midlands Police have so far arrested more than 500 people over the disturbances in Birmingham and nearby towns, of whom more than 140 have been charged.

On Friday, Prince William and Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, visited areas of Birmingham affected by the disorder.

They met with residents including a small business owner whose store in central Birmingham was looted, local community leaders and emergency responders.

Among the places they visited was Winson Green, an inner-city area where three young Asian men were killed by a hit-and-run driver amid the disturbances.

Four men have been charged over their deaths and police continue to question other suspects. An eighth man was arrested Friday on suspicion of murder, police said.

Your bobbies don't need to carry guns?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The simple fact of the matter is that having a gun discharge in England is an extremely rare event.

And because guns are banned, it's easy to spot the bad guys - because they are the ones that have guns.

No excuses if you get caught with one - jail time.

In America, the Police just don't know if a guy with a gun is a bad guy or not which is why your traffic cops are so jumpy.

Ban guns. It's common sense that seems to have been lost on Americans.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
It is might be equally as easy to spot the bad guys just by looking at the dead good guys laying on the ground.

Times change Ian due to a necessity for it to. No one likes change but, sometimes, it has to be.

I think the people in your own country would feel alot safer if they knew the police was able to defend them and truly, save their lives, if need be.

Your countrymen should have the right to defend their very own lives. No country or govn should have the right to take that away. You can bet your boots Ian the people in the right positions in your govn have a gun to defend their own lives and that of their own families.

It is a basic right to want to survive. I betcha, the queen probably has one of those garterbelt gun hoisters like this, it probably matches her hats:

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
No American should have the right to own a gun.

Where did this sense of entitlement come from that I see so often with gun owners?

Police should be able to have them, but only specialized officers who are properly trained. That is what we have in England.

In America, any Tom, Dick or Harry can own one and - let's face it - Americans are simply not as clever as the Canadians.

Which is why many more people die from gun crime here.

The vast majority of it preventable if the country would just man up and Ban Guns.

Your countrymen should have the right to defend their very own lives.

We do. We just use bats, knives and fists instead. All of which do not kill, but still teach a lesson.

Why are Americans so intent on killing each other?

It's because the values handed down from your parents teach you not to care for anyone outside your family, isn't it?

The very same reason you dislike taxes.

The very same reason the drivers on your roads are so aggressive.

America needs to socialize. And care. For one another would be a good start.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Do you not believe that those in power in your country do not own a gun to protect their very own lives or that of their very own families?

I do not undestand why you think, that knives and fists and bats do not kill. They do Ian. Not everything is to teach a lesson like you cited.

And, mostly, I do not understand why the people of England are treated as K-students without a thinking brain in their head. You want to ban so much Ian, that everything is so controlled in your country. I am an adult. And, I can make decisions and choices and you should be too, and your countrymen should be able to, also.

I think, you may see the day come Ian, where your country will change because the people will demand it.

and... we do socialize, we target shoot, which is alot of fun. We have that choice Ian.

Every Tom, Dick and Harriet. :)

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Ian why dont you pull your head out fo your ass???

Ian, if you look at the history of europe, you will probably notice that
most countries were forced into submission by other countries because
they were helpless to defend themselves...

the founders of this country knew from the lessons learned that a well armed
militia was necessary to defend themselves....

this country would be very hard to take over when every other person has weapons

the same thing goes on in Switzerland, every able bodied man has a machine gun
locked away for a military emergency... and they train with them also...

Our country has a very ugly past if you want to look
at how we dis-placed the Indians....and what comes around usually goes around

someday someone will probably attempt to pass a law to force the citizens of
this country to pay the enourmous debt back to the corporations that own the
notes.... that is comming

Cookie

Reaction score
Read our Second Amendment Ian. That is what gives us the right. The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.

and...the rockets' red glare!
The bombs bursting in air!
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the brave!

I love that song... :)
I want to sing it at the next ball game. lol

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Why are Americans so intent on killing each other?

Because we have so many that NEED killing compared to England.

Pool cues and shovel handles just make the average American more unpleasant. Drilling a small hole through him gets his attention.

And by the way, when the cop is walking to the car, roll down your window and keep BOTH hands fiddling with your wallet on the top of the steering wheel. Cop relaxes pretty quick. One hand on your cigarette and one under your right thigh gets a gun in your ear.

An open map on the passenger seat helps too. And spicy Doritos to hide the smell the smell of that last beer.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am done reading and posting back to Ian's drivel. If the just a few of us stop "arguing" with him, Ian will be the only poster to Ian's corner. How about it guys and gal?
he is ..............ah never mind!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Come on Bob. This is much more fun than electronics.

Real life. Real politics. Real lives.

You can pretend to make it go away, but then China will bite your back.

How about taking a critical look at what can be done better?

The time to stick your head in the sand and trust the Constitution is gone.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Our founding fathers were smart enough to realize that an unarmed citizen is vunerable to a despotic government. We have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms as well as overthrow a tyrannical government which would be impossible to do if we had no weapons. Why do you suppose those countries with dictators forbid it's citizens to own firearms? If the riots in England become more viscous and wide spread how long do you think it will be before England sets its armed military upon it's own citizens?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'd just love to see the American population, grandma and all, rise up against the US Government and its army. It would be a bloodbath.

My main complaint with gun ownership in America is most of the people here are not trained how to shoot. By definition, this means that they will aim and hit something else. Often, themselves.

Ban guns. Americans are simply not skilled enough to own them.

The Founding Fathers, if alive today, would be smart enough to know that a modern firearm is a little bit different to the gunpowder muskets they referred to. And would ban guns.

Cookie

Reaction score
I bet I could trim that long hair sticking out on the side of your head and not miss.
:)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
everyone I know that owns guns is pretty damn good with them. I can't speak for the British though, hell they still drive on the wrong side of the road and drink warm beer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks