Engineering NPT pipe thread question

Users who are viewing this thread

triton40

Reaction score
Hey all, I am currently designing some plugs that will seat into npt threads. I have the machinery handbook and it is not giving me what seems to me the correct dimensions for a plug to seat into a female npt pipe and seal and protect the threads. What dimension should I use from the handbook or does anyone know this type of information? Thanks.

Reaction score
A NPT is a tapered thread that seals in the thread area, with the help of tape or dope most times. I have seen some fitting that thread into an female npt thread and seal with an elastomer seal like that acts like a face seal, but I would not rely on it seal anything but air. They can be be reused a couple of times, after that the elastomer is trashed. If the thread isn't a little past the high to low limit they don't work well either.

The Machinery handbook gives a dimension for hand tight I believe. Additional tightening after that is determined by feel most times, and driven by the material of the threaded components. Softer materials can be threaded more turns but you have to careful not the split the female thread or shear off the male end.

Not really an answer to your questions, but there really isn't an answer that be correct all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks