empty space around toilet pipe can't set screws in flange

Users who are viewing this thread

imnoplumber

Reaction score
Can anyone help? We are putting in a new toilet and have removed an old cast iron flange that was broken. We set the new plastic flange in and tried to bolt it down and there seems to be nothing but air below where the screws should go in. What should we do? Is this an unusual problem? Thanks - advice is greatly appreciated!

Cookie

Reaction score
This is the same problem which was created for me. A person installed a new flange, new toilet and new floor. One of my screws go into the joist and the others go into the air space and dangle. How nice. I had an access panel put in underneath and can see them.

Another person came in ( when I requested the floor to be fixed correctly) and threw down 1/4 inch Luann board which sure, covers the gap but, a screw cannot bite into 1/4 Luann board and in time will warp and rot.

I am not a plumber but, if I were you, I would replace that floor where the gap is at and make it a nice, sturdy floor to work with. That is what I intend on doing. Myself. So far as the others, I sued them, if only they would had cooperated.

You can try to put boards up underneath if you can, but seriously, I don't think that is good either.

Last edited:

imnoplumber

Reaction score
Thanks Cookie - I am trying to gather several opinions and figure out the best fix. I appreciate the advice.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can only assume there is a basement below. If that is the case, can you get some 3/4" plywood or other sturdy material and notch around pipe,fasten it to the bottom side of the subfloor. Then gaps should be filled. Use long screw's to fasten collar to new plywood or what ever sturdy material you decide to use.I use stainless screw's, but you could use something different if you wanted to. You also could replace the floor if you wanted to go that far.

Last edited:

imnoplumber

Reaction score
Sorry - I should have added that this is on a slab. I am sure that changes things a bit.
Thanks for the reply.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you fill in with a strong, quick drying concrete mix. Let dry and then use smack nails(expandable anchor, my preference) or maybe tapcons to fasten collar to floor. Keep in mind moisture, so choose appropriate anchor.

imnoplumber

Reaction score
That is what we are considering but did not know for sure if it would work. Thanks for the advice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My favorite method of anchoring to concrete is to use lead ferrels and screws. You do have to drill holes in the concrete to accept to ferrels. I use a hammer drill for that. For flange anchoring, I use stainless steel because it's tronger than brass and will not corrode.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

There is no way to make a leakproof seal between a plastic flange and a cast iron pipe. Do it the right way and install, or have installed, a new cast iron flange with a lead/oakum joint. Then you will not have to anchor the flange to the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks