emergency advice fast

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bbillcee, Mar 8, 2010.

1. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

i had to pull out new kitchen cabinet for get at an old galvanized waste that failed....i got the galvanized nipple out of the threaded cast fitting and need to know if a male pvc adapter is acceptable and switch it to pvc oor should i do it back in galvanized?

i have to do this right away
  2. JOHN_P

JOHN_P New Member

I'm no expert, but I've replaced all of the galvanized drains that went into the cast iron with the threaded PVC adaptors and was just glad to get rid of the corroding pipes. Everything has worked out well for years now. Well, except for that time I was replacing the last one and in taking out the galvanized pipe, it broke the whole outlet right out of the cast iron stack. But after repairing that big mistake (seems you avoided that one), I've never had a problem with the PVC into the cast iron.
  3. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Never use galvanized piping for anything in a plumbing system...potable or not!
  4. jc60618

jc60618 DIY Junior Member

A male adapter with teflon tape will work just fine.
  5. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

thanx all....getting the granite in tomorrow...hell of time for this to happen
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the PVC is just sticking out of the wall, it is okay to do it that way. But I would use a galvanized nipple and a female brass trap adapter. If it is a sideways pipe inside the wall, the be sure to support the PVC well, otherwise the male adapter may crack off.