Email from landlord about bathtub leaking to condo below

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I guess maybe, if push comes to shove it might be easier, ( not right) to get a plumber out there, get it fixed and pay for it. Then, send the bill to the owner, and let the cards fall. Hopefully, they will be grateful it is fixed, send you either a check for the amount, or reduce whatever rent it would be to reimburse you that way. If not, I guess, just absorb the costs, it might be cheaper in the long run than moving. Just my 2 cents worth on how I would maybe, deal with it. I can't deal with not soaking in my bath.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If I was called to a rental apartment or, condo by the tennant I would not do any work until the landlord gave the go ahead....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay, My estimate is $750 payment on completion and I need access through the downstairs unit... You'll have to get someone to fix the hole I cut too...

That might make you change your mind about lying...:cool:

jebar

Reaction score
Need to fix the tub

The tub should be fixed. I had this problem with an older tub that did not have a common overflow tube for the tub drain. The problem is not so much the water damage as it is the mold damage later.

Sounds to me like moving might be easier than pushing for a solution.

As for the utility sink drain I'd suggest a sump pump and check valve to solve the problem year round. The alternative is some kind of electrical interlock to the valve which would prevent the washer from running if the valve was closed. Not a good solution due to the possibility of a shock.

I'd start looking for another place because if there is this much trouble fixing these small problems, what can you expect on a large issue or possibly ANY PROBLEM.

apt_question

Reaction score
I agree. The tub needs to be fixed. Who knows how many people have flooded the ceiling and basement before we got there.
The building inspector (plumbing division) is coming on Wednesday morning.
We wanted the health inspector in to check for mold, but they don't do that because there's no standard for mold. We'd have to call a private company in.
Additioanlly, the downstairs neighbor's smoke from her cigarettes is pouring up through the vents. It's nauseating to say the least and exacerbating my pre-existing medical conditions. We are waiting to hear back from lawyer. At this point, we want nothing more than to break the lease and get the HELL out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks