Elongated vs. Round Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

dz63

Reaction score
What is the advantage and/or disadvantage to each type?
Most new homes have always come with round bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Men, elongated, what can I say, the elongated will fit us.

Only reason to go regular (round) is to save a buck, or save 1.5" in length.
Builders always save a buck.

I'm selling about 80% elongated.

toilet_seat_selector.jpg

Last edited:

petergunn

Reaction score
Performance difference

No idea how true this is:

"Q: Is there a performance difference between the round front and elongated front toilets?
A: Although manufacturers push the idea that there is not a difference in performance between round front and elongated toilets, the most recent round of MaP Test would indicate otherwise. In 2004 testing, the round front TOTO Ultimate MS853113 flushed 400 grams of test meso paste while the elongated front TOTO Ultimate MS854114 flushed only 325 grams. All things being equal, it would clearly indicate that in this instance the round front version performed decidedly better than the elongated version. Although it is a stretch to apply this example across all circumstances, this would lead weight to the idea that there is a difference in the finished shape. Although it would help to clear the issue, comprehensive testing of all versions of all models has not been conducted.
"

ms853113e-01.jpg

MS853113

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The elongated Drake moved 900 grams

There is no conclusive test that says it's an elongated or round thing.
The only difference between the two, it that the top of the bowl, extends out 1.5" more.
The lower part of the bowl is pretty much the same.
They use the same amount of water
There is no difference in the trapway.

I find a bigger difference when you raise the bowl height, or the tank height.
A tall bowl like the ADA or the Universal height will work better then standard height.
Even the Toto Drake ADA 1.28 gallon CST744 EL does 900 grams
and the Toto Drake II with 1.28 gallons does 800 grams.
Any rating of 500 grams or more is keller.
You have to divert some water for bowl rinse.
It doesn't do much good if the bowl flush is 1000 and the bowl rinse is a Zero.
You need bowl rinse.
MaP doesn't test for bowl rinse.
So even they are surprised when they install one of their toilets at home, and find that the bowl is messy.
My testing is more about both. They have to rinse, and flush.
We get many complaints abougt rinsing, and that is not even looked at by other reports.
Strange.
If women were running those tests, it would be the first thing on the list.

I used an elongated Ultimate with the 325 MaP for over a year with good success.
We did plug a few of the higher rated toilets like the Kohler Cimarron, Briggs Vacuity, American Standard pressure assist Glenwall.

Last edited:

jlohrenz

Reaction score
As we are doing our remodel, we are switching from round to elongated. In the bathroom that we have completed, I really like the elongated, and will not go back to round unless there are some pretty serious sizing constraints in the room that would necessitate the extra space gained by going round.

dz63

Reaction score
To summarize, elongated bowls

1) fit men better (1.5" longer).
2) cost more.
3) may have a lower MaP in some cases.

Two questions:

1) Skid marks - any difference with elongated vs. round bowls?
2) Toilet seats - More choice for round bowls? More cost for elongated bowls?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The next toilet I'm installing in my home, is a CEFIONTECT, Elongated, One-piece, skirted Toto Soiree with double Cyclone flush.
Yeeha!

soiree_angle.jpg

Toto Soiree

or maybe this one

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay,
Lets make this more real
The average person only drops in 250 grams

If you plan on dumping several loads before flushing,
dump x (250 grams) = needed capacity

If this was in auto terms,
I need to pick up toilets today,
Do I use the SUV? it only carries two Ultramax toilets? but gets good gas mileage and has a better sound system.
Or do I use the Chev cube van? it will carry thirty toilets. But the ride isn't as nice.

Do I as a man fit on a round bowl?
Heck no.
Of course you could also argue that a home only needs one bathroom.
Everyone can take turns.
Yeah, right.

Thousands of people can't be wrong.
I'm selling thousands of elongated bowls, and they keep coming back for more.
I sell plenty of round too, but mostly to homes with very small bathrooms.
You know the kind, the ones built in the 1920's, not long after they quit using outhouses.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Kohler Santa Rosa works pretty well, I have a used one in the garage right now that I pulled from a home setting in a box. They went with two Ultramax with CEFIONTECT, first one, then six months later another one.

I don't know much about the Sonoma, but it should work.

I wind up being a little careful, it's better for me to sell somthing that that I trust I don't hear back from about, it always feels a bit chancey otherwise. I used to sell some $99 toilet that worked fairly well, they weren't perfect, and that was the problem. They had some tank wobble, and really it didn't matter, but it did to some. Whe the rep told the customer that their product shouldn't do that ( and he went out there to the home and did his best too) I decided that I would drop the product line. His loss, not mine. My sister has a couple of that brand in her home, still going strong, and they don't care that the tank moves a bit.
Her kids have ruined a few other brands over the years. I give her stuff, her kids wreck em. and then she gives me the report on them.
Very good information that the reps never tell you.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Terry, you might be able to vouch for this statement.

I remember 20 years ago that the norm was mostly round fronts and that was it. The only time elongated/comfort height came into play was usually when someone specifically at the home had a medical condition and required a "handicap" toilet.

And when an elongated toilet was in consideration, they were few and far between. Most times I found the elongated models were one piece AS and up in the more pristine neighborhoods of Cincinnati where the old money was.

Now, it's a whole different tugboat. Elongated toilets are very common now and the simple round front is fading.

I still to this day work on those low-riser one piece toilets that I have no idea why they haven't chucked to the dumpster. Not only is that a huge strain on the lower back muscles and torture on the knees, it's like sitting on a paint can.

Am I wrong on any of the above statements? I know that geography might come into play with my surroundings opposed to washington.

JaniceC

Reaction score
To add a bit of levity here:

We installed an elongated toilet in our renovated bathroom, replacing a round one. The problem I have with it (as compared to round), is that now there's enough space for our curious kitten to climb up behind and peer in at the water action. Ack!

Janice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks