Eljer toilet identification help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Markofm

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Can anyone please help me identify this (Eljer?) toilet? I've got a "ghost flush", had the plumber out five times and replace several parts, no luck... Thank you!

Markofm

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 479
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 458

Reach4

Reaction score
1. How far does the refill tube extend into or above the overflow tube? The plastic clip should hold the tip of that tube above the top of the overflow. Since both the tube and clip are black, I cannot tell from the picture.

2. How high is the water level with respect to the top of the overflow tube?

3. What is a phantom flush? Is that you hear water running periodically with no real flush, or is there a real flush cycle that spontaneously occurs at times?

Markofm

Reaction score
I hope these pictures may be more informative. As you can see, the clip is holding the refill tube suspended above the lip of the overflow tube. The water level (as adjusted by the plumber) comes right to the top of the tube, but we didn't Observe anything pouring over the lip.

Understand that this is not a diy project, the plumber has been called several times. During the last visit he looked and thought and said that either the black gasket at the base below the flapper or the white plastic piece that rises through it might have a slight crack
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

but it was unlikely that those parts are available anymore and we will need a new toilet. Soooooo, I'm trying to identify the toilet in order to go to plumbing supply and see if these parts can be had. The sound heard is like a mini-flush. Numbers we can read stamped inside appear to be 367 and 1698 and inside the lid 1658 and 298, hope this helps.

BTW, my son lives in Magnolia...

Thank you for your help, it's very kind of you!

Mark
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would turn off the water supply valve for a couple hours and see what happens to the water level. If the water level drops, I wonder if bending the flush lever arm toward the wall would give a more centered pull on the flapper.

Also, that flush valve seat looks like it could use a good rub down.

One more thing that can sometimes make a toilet run; too high of water pressure. There are pressure gauges with a garden hose thread available locally for under $20. Those can screw on an outside faucet, laundry hookup, or the drain valve of the water heater. Over 80 PSI is excessive.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fill valve installation looks good.
Next you need to determine where the leak is. To find that, turn off the water to the tank, let it sit and locate the water level when it stops losing water.
It could be a cracked overflow, bad flapper, or bad seal under the flush valve.

Markofm

Reaction score
I would turn off the water supply valve for a couple hours and see what happens to the water level. If the water level drops, I wonder if bending the flush lever arm toward the wall would give a more centered pull on the flapper.

Also, that flush valve seat looks like it could use a good rub down.

One more thing that can sometimes make a toilet run; too high of water pressure. There are pressure gauges with a garden hose thread available locally for under $20. Those can screw on an outside faucet, laundry hookup, or the drain valve of the water heater. Over 80 PSI is excessive.

Markofm

Reaction score
Hi Terry, A couple of turns around the flush valve seat with some steel wool seems to have done the trick, you're a genius! Do you think I could find a new flush valve seat and gasket?

Mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks