Eljer - Flapper Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I have an old Eljer Watersaver Low Tank One Piece Closet (toilet) from in my home that was built in 1980. The model is the Windsor model.

The problem is the flapper. It will not close all the way after the toilet is flushed. It is not the chain; the chain is NOT in the way and not impeding the flap.

In this type of old toilet, all of the guts are all together on the left hand side. When the toilet is flushed and the tank starts to refill, the water rushes in next to the flapper and keeps the flapper up. It appears the flapper is not "heavy" enough to close. I recently replaced the flapper so it is brand new, but I wonder if there must be a special kind of heavier flapper for this old toilet? Does anyone know if I need a specific flapper?

Thanks very much!
Heather

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
It appears the flapper is not "heavy" enough to close. I recently replaced the flapper so it is brand new, but I wonder if there must be a special kind of heavier flapper for this old toilet? Does anyone know if I need a specific flapper?

The weight is not important as long as the flapper does not have a molded in float or is made of a material that is less dense than water.

As the water rises on a "cup" style plunger there is no way for the water to lift the flap due to displacement.

It is possible is that the fill valve has a down tube and the flowing water is somehow blasting the flapper like a fireman's hose.
You could try and disconnect the down tube or rotate the fill valve if it has one.

Last edited:

Cfipp

Reaction score
Yes, it will even seat if you hold your finger down on it for a second or two while the tank is filling.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Do me a favor and pick up a pressure gauge that screws onto a hose bibb. Please measure your water pressure and report back with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks