Eljer - Flapper Problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by cfipp, Mar 12, 2008.

1. cfipp

cfipp New Member

I have an old Eljer Watersaver Low Tank One Piece Closet (toilet) from in my home that was built in 1980. The model is the Windsor model.

The problem is the flapper. It will not close all the way after the toilet is flushed. It is not the chain; the chain is NOT in the way and not impeding the flap.

In this type of old toilet, all of the guts are all together on the left hand side. When the toilet is flushed and the tank starts to refill, the water rushes in next to the flapper and keeps the flapper up. It appears the flapper is not "heavy" enough to close. I recently replaced the flapper so it is brand new, but I wonder if there must be a special kind of heavier flapper for this old toilet? Does anyone know if I need a specific flapper?

Thanks very much!
    Heather
  2. Bill Arden

Bill Arden Computer Programmer

The weight is not important as long as the flapper does not have a molded in float or is made of a material that is less dense than water.

As the water rises on a "cup" style plunger there is no way for the water to lift the flap due to displacement.

It is possible is that the fill valve has a down tube and the flowing water is somehow blasting the flapper like a fireman's hose.
    You could try and disconnect the down tube or rotate the fill valve if it has one.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If you shut off the water supply will it seat then?
  4. cfipp

cfipp New Member

Yes, it will even seat if you hold your finger down on it for a second or two while the tank is filling.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Do me a favor and pick up a pressure gauge that screws onto a hose bibb. Please measure your water pressure and report back with it.