Elger 2 valve tub and shower faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Had a service call today to repair a tub and shower faucet installed around 1960. The faucet seat had broken off flush with the valve body at the seats threads and the faucet was pouring water from the spout. I used my seat wrench for an attempt to get the rest if the seat out of the valve. No luck,the brass was bad and it stripped out.

I have a reverse fine thread seat removal tool that threads itself in like an easy out and most of the time removes a damaged or stripped seat. I used this tool also but it bottomed out before the seat would break loose.

As I looked up into the valve (cold side) almost the entore seat was now gone. I could see the edge where the seat met the valve body threads so I used a dental pick and the rest of the seat collapsed and came out. Thats great except the threads in the valve where gone also........nothing to screw the new seat into.

The original tile was still intact and in perfect condition.....on both sides of the wall so I had no rear access. The owner wanted to keep the valve at any cost and not disturb the tile.

I went to the next size seat which was 9/16. I tapped the valve body and cut down a 9/16 x 27 thread seat to the proper lenght. After cutting a beveled the inside and outside edges of the cut. Screwed it into the faucet and it's working like new tonight.

So now the cold side has a 9/16 x 27 thread seat and the hot has a 1/2 x 24 thread I think it was.

The guy works in a large office building and is well respected in the community. He had told 3 or 4 people what I had done before I even finished his invoice.

The best advertising that money cant buy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks