Electricity connection to Kohler K-1733 steam generator

Users who are viewing this thread

MindaLT

Reaction score
Hi All.
I am struggling to interpret the connection for the Kohler K-1733 steam generator.
The scheme is supposedly provided here: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1060226_2.pdf (see page 12).
What is not clear to me is whether I shall join together the L1 and L2 black wires and connect them both to 240V Live, and connect Neutral to green wire. Or whether I shall connect green to Ground, L1 to Neutral and L2 to 240V.
Internaly green wire is connected the body of the unit, which seems a little strange if I have to connect it to Neutral (I would assume Ground for the Body).
The black (L1 and L2) wires are connected to big HOMER XMCK-502240CP contactor, which is not connected to the body in any way.
I live in Europe, where we have only 240V mains.
I am puzzled by references to 120V in the said scheme and do not want to ruin the unit running 240V into 120V circuits.
Thanks for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ground to ground (typically green). Neutral from the panel to L1, L1 (or L2) from the panel 240vac to L2. In the USA, with our 120vac circuits, it really comes in as 240vac with the neutral mid-point on the transformer coil so to get 240, you just go to each side of the supply. 120vac is split into two halves, L1 is 120vac to the mid-point on the transformer (neutral), and L2 is the other half of the 240 going to the neutral.

Where you live, you either have 480vac coming in, and L1 to L2 from your supply may be 480, with the neutral again, half way (to get 240vac); or you have 240vac coming in, and you don't really have L1 and L2 and only have say L1. Doesn't really matter, as long as what you input into the steam generator has 240vac and you properly ground it, it should work.

MindaLT

Reaction score
Thanks. Your explanation is crystal clear, unlike Kohler's instructions. Indeed, I have three phases of 240V each available to me. I will run one of them on L2, with L1 on Neutral.

MindaLT

Reaction score
I have connected it as advised and everything works well.
I left the unit connected to mains overnight (in stand-by) and it stays rather hot, even in standby.
Is this normal? Intuitively it does not seem right.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Operating Manual

I have connected it as advised and everything works well.
I left the unit connected to mains overnight (in stand-by) and it stays rather hot, even in standby.
Is this normal? Intuitively it does not seem right.
The installation instructions do not provide any operating instructions. Was there a User manual included that might tell you if the unit is supposed to keep the water tank at any "pre-heated" temperature? You mentioned "Standby" mode. is there an off mode as well on the operator panel?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but my feel is that unless you use the thing very frequently, you may want to turn it off. That would somewhat depend on how quickly it comes back up to temp once you do decide to use it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks