Electrical Wiring Capacity / HEAT

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chefwong, Mar 21, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

OK. Boxes have max capacity fill, conduit, etc.

What about MC/AC wire. Is the *clad* good enough on how much *capacity* the wire inside needs.

I plan to put a 4" square box on a wall that has been mudded/rocked over.
    It's roughly 1 1/4"+ in depth so to make this fairly seamless, I plan to channel out the wall, run the BX in the channel and then plaster the BX in place. I plan to take a chipping hammer and chip out the area where the box will be so it sits flush with the wall (poured concrete wall).

Is is ~okay~ to bury the wire in plaster ?
    Or does it need room/air around it.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you do not overload it, it should NOT overheat or need ventilation other than what flows through the armored covering.
  3. michielsemma

michielsemma New Member

Breaker needs to be a 40 amp and wire needs to be 8 AWG. A 30 amp breaker will nuisance trip on hard starts. Full load amps is when it's running at full capacity. Starting current is a lot higher than FLA.

Check to see what size the main wires are on the unit where you are supposed to make your connection from the breaker panel. If the wires are bigger than 10awg or add up to be bigger than 10awg then you cannot use a 30 amp breaker.

Look for a rating of minimum circuit ampacity on the unit as well.

Your fuses or breakers are designed to protect the wiring in your home from short circuits and overheating and starting a fire. They are not designed to protect your appliances. You cannot legally run a 10awg wire to a 50 amp breaker.
  4. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

5. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

And what does that have to do with ChefWong's question anyway? he never mentioned the load as far as I can see.:rolleyes:

As jerome said, just a copy and paste job from you