Electrical vs. plumbing solder

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
so i soldered up my shower piping last night. i ran out of my starter kit of plumbers solder and grabbed the other roll i bought. however, i didn't realize the other roll was "electrical" solder other than the fact it was smaller diameter and melted more quickly.

i've read through some old threads that talk about not using electrical solder for plumbing, but those seemed to be pertaining more to lead based ones. see photo for what i used. as far as i can tell, the electrical solder i used has silver and is lead free. i prepped all the joints the same with flux.

so, is it okay to leave as is, or do i need to disassemble? i pressure tested last night and it was fine. but, i'm worried about long-term issues. thanks.

IMG_1306.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
That works. I expect that the main difference is that the electrical solder has a non-corrosive flux core, and the plumbing solder expects that you will use a more active flux suitable for higher temperatures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks