electrical testers

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by jwelectric, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

What type of electrical tester do you use?

Does it have a rating such as Cat I, II, III, or IV?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I have a Fluke 77, Simpson 260, an Ideal clamp on, and several assorted little digitals and analogs. Also sound level meter, laser thermometer, etc.
  3. DonL

DonL Banned

Hello all,

The Simpson 260 is one of the best meters used today, Still after all the years.

Sometimes Older is Better...

DonL
  4. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

At work on the job doing machine repairs and for automotive type work..... I have a Fluke 83 for nearly 20 years and a smaller DVM from our hardware supplier Kimball Midwest. Both read voltage-resistance-diodes-amps and the Fluke also can read HZ. Leads are 600 volt rated...

I do repairs on welders that have an HF output or over 3000 volts and at 1 million HZ.......You cannot have a Fluke meter anywhere near that HF output when it's triggered or it's toast.....

At home around the house.......I have a few of those pen type contact testers and also a couple cheap small live voltage probe testers that light when voltage is present.

I used both at my next door neigbors on Easter to help him. The contact testers are very unreliable but better than nothing......They trigger far too easily but it errors on the safe side of working with electrcity...
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. DonL

DonL Banned

Iec61010

Hello all,

JW are we going to be getting a class on measuring devices and their Cat ratings as per IEC61010 ?

Should be a good class.

Have a great day.

DonL
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  6. jwelectric

wasn't planning on doing a class but hoping to find out how many was having the problem found here
  7. jwelectric

Which series do you have?

I lke the 4M series as it has a mirror for a better reading
  8. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

I used a Simpson today to test some components in an Inverter/Welder. An analog meter was specified for testing to get accurate readings. We have a couple Simpson meters in like new condtion and their better models. I used a known resistor to check it for accuracy and it was very close....Took me a couple minutes to get it set right for what I was testing.....Worked perfect

The Simpson is a 260 and came from Lucent.....Has calibration stickers from 1997 on it.

The owner of the co. I work for likes stuff like this and probably bought this one at a garage sale...
    Last edited: May 6, 2011