Electrical code questions. 2005 NEC

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark_Bert

Reaction score
hello All,

I'm building a new home and plan on doing the wiring myself. I've done a fair amount of electrical and the mechanics of it are not an issue. I have some code questions though. My county ises the NEC 2005 code. Here are my questions in no particular order.

Is there a maximum distance for the breaker panel location from the service entrance?

I'd prefer to use PVC conduit for the service entrance. Are sweep 90s OK for corners or are LBs required?

I'd like to put a 60 amp / 220v outside sub panel (for pool pump, septic pump and hot tub) on the opposite end of the house as the service entrance/breaker panel. The run will be approx 85' when accounting for turns and routing. What size wire? Does it need to be run in conduit?

For electric oven, water heater, HVAC assume 40A breakers, what size wire?

I know that for kitchen counter outlets, a max of four recepticals are allowed per circuit. Is there a max number for other locations? Can I just use one circuit per room?

Thanks,

Mark

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Is there a maximum distance for the breaker panel location from the service entrance?
The code says as close as possible. They do not give a number. Some localities do specify a number of feet. Typically 4'-6' into the structure is acceptable. I'd check with your building dept to see if you have any written amendments.

I'd prefer to use PVC conduit for the service entrance. Are sweep 90s OK for corners or are LBs required?
90's. LBs. 45's. Whatever it takes to get it done. Same rules for all conduit come into play. No more than 360 deg worth of bends between boxes or pull points, all boxes and conduit bodies must remain accessible, etc.

I'd like to put a 60 amp / 220v outside sub panel (for pool pump, septic pump and hot tub) on the opposite end of the house as the service entrance/breaker panel. The run will be approx 85' when accounting for turns and routing. What size wire? Does it need to be run in conduit?
First off, a 60A feeder will not be sufficient IMO. Most hot tubs will require a 50A circuit alone, and if you ever plan a pool heater forget it.
In my area I'd do #2AL SER cable on a 90-100A breaker.

For electric oven, water heater, HVAC assume 40A breakers, what size wire?
WHY would you assume this???
I've seen wall ovens from 20A to 50A @ 240V.
Most all typical electric water heaters are 30A @ 240V circuits.
HVAC?? Again, anywhere from 15A to 60A, or more.
DO NOT guess, wait until the units are picked out and run what's required.

I know that for kitchen counter outlets, a max of four recepticals are allowed per circuit. Is there a max number for other locations? Can I just use one circuit per room?
Under the NEC there is NO 4 rec per circuit limit. If your area has a written amendments you have to follow them. There is no limit for other rooms as to quantity. Other areas, such as laundry and bathrooms do have specific codes as to what can be on the circuits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks