Electric Water heater runs out quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

lmarie39

Reaction score
I recently had to have my electric water heater moved a few inches because it was too close to the dryer vent. Before it was moved I had plenty of hot water. Now after the move, the hot water runs out quickly. I'm wondering if they jiggled something loose?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When an electric water heater has less heated water than before, it's normally that the lower element is no long working. The top element still works, or you would have nothing. When the top of the tank is heated, the power switches to the lower element, after which you get the full tank heated, not just the top half.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have the elements checked. How old is the water heater?
I don't think the move has anything to do with your symptom.

A long time ago my auto mechanic said that a customer once had this complaint: "Ever since you've done my brakes, the muffler has been making noises". Very funny, but off course there was no connection between the two.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They should have checked the muffler bearings. :)

One time my son called saying the brakes were acting up. He brought it in to a tire store that informed him that the front was was ready to fall apart and that the rear axle needed a rebuild. I told him to bring the van home and we would bring it to our own mechanic to check the brakes. What I had to convince my son of was:
I had already had the entire front end rebuilt at the dealer, and the rear axle had been rebuilt on warranty. Both of those things had been done before he even drove into the tire dealer.

So we did wind up doing front rotors, calipers and pads the next day. But not the front end or axle work. That was years ago, and the van is still running well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks