Electric water heater help

Users who are viewing this thread

Southpaw134

Reaction score
My electric water heater sprung a slow leak at beginning of last week but was still providing hot water.

I had decided to put in a gas water heater based on the long term ROI and because I would be able to add other gas appliances in the future (dryer, range, etc...). I began contacting plumbers last Thursday and have received two quotes with another plumber coming today. The local utility would still need to come place the tap and meter, which they will do for free, they will also provide a $675 rebate for the water heater & installation.

Well, last night that small, slow leak got much bigger. I wasn't concerned about water damage as the heater is located in the garage, but now I have no hot water. This not good. I have two small children and need hot water today.

I have two questions. First, can anyone recommend a good electric water heater (I currently have a 50 gallon Rheem). I would still like to go with gas but cannot wait for the tap/meter and the heater install. Do professional plumbers ever provide temporary water heating solutions until a permanent one can be reached? It my be a silly question, but I'm trying to find away to solve my water heating problem immediately while still install gas for the long term solution.

Nate R

Reaction score
Maybe get a used one on Craigslist? Then resell it when you get the gas one? Only thing I can think of.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
buy the least expensive one you can find and then sell it after you install the new gas one...but you will lose $100.00 or more reselling it...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

There are NO temporary solutions. A plumber would NOT install an electric heater then take it back and hope he could use it elsewhere. Nor would he install a propane gas heater temporarily, because that would also result in a used heater with limited resaleability. I would not sell, or recommend a used heater because you have absolutely no idea whether it might be damaged. The only time it might make sense given the uncertainties and potential cost would be if it were a donated unit. In fact, anytime I see a used "good" heater for sale, I assume it has been "stolen" from a foreclosed building.

Southpaw134

Reaction score
Hj, I didn't figure any plumber would do so, it was a shot in the dark...

I was able to find someone selling a Kenmore Economizer 6, 40 gallon Table top water heater. According to the seller it was purchased by his father-in-law and never installed.

I was lucky enough to get the seller on the phone as he was on his way out of town for Thanksgiving (got him just before he got on the Interstate). He was kind enough to drive back to his home (which thankfully was only about 5 mins from my home) to meet me. $125 for the new heater, $1.35 for a 3/4 inch nipple, some new 3/4 hoses and a few hours later I again have hot water. We should be able to make due until the gas tap, meter and water heater are installed.

Thanks to all who provided input. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks