Electric Motor - ID / replacement help

Users who are viewing this thread

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Greetings. I've got a whole house fan that has this motor and I want to upgrade the motor to a modestly more powerful version. The manufacturer sells the fan kits with larger motors in the same side duct / housing etc... but they will not sell the motor by itself (and the whole kit is quite expensive).

I've looked around the net a bit but I can't find a good resource for matching up the motor. McMillian is the OEM manufacturer but they will not deal directly or disclose more about the motor than what is on the label (see pic).

The motor body is about 5-1/8" dia and 3" deep. Shaft is 1/2" dia (with a small flat) and 2.875" long. Although the label says "BRUSH FREE DC..." it only takes 115VAC as input (maybe it has rectifiers inside, or maybe DC stands for something other than direct current.)

The other obvious details are:
1100 RPM
1.5A
1/14 HP
CW rotation.

So what I'm looking for is something slightly higher power and slightly higher RPM in the same form factor, say 1/10 HP and 1400-1600 RPM.

Do any of you have experience with these types of motors and where I might find a good replacement / upgrade?
DSC_4235.JPG
DSC_4236.JPG

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's in my nature to be curious, I guess. I've lived in 25-30 houses over the years and many of them had a whole house fan in them. Every one of them would suck the paint off the walls, so what seems to be lacking in your own set-up?

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
It's in my nature to be curious, I guess. I've lived in 25-30 houses over the years and many of them had a whole house fan in them. Every one of them would suck the paint off the walls, so what seems to be lacking in your own set-up?

Hehe, yeah, that's usually the case. My childhood home had a 36" jet engine from a Boeing 777 and it used to suck the furnace pilot light right out in the basement all the way from the attic.

But... my house is fairly small and the attic tiny, so I got a pretty compact unit that only sucks ~1200 CFM. It is adequate about 60% of the time, but I'd like maybe 50% more suckage for those summer days when its just roasting. We have no A/C in the house at all.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
What sort of venting does your attic have, and do you think it would be beneficial to increase the outflow potential.

Last edited:

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, spot on question. I have 3 large dormer style vents, full length ridge vent, and sofit vents. Obviously I don't want to put much pressure up there and start blowing dust into the house through cracks and lose efficiency on the more powerful fan.

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
Suggest that you go by a supply house that specializes in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning parts such as Johnstone Supply. If anybody can match that, they will.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hehe, yeah, that's usually the case. My childhood home had a 36" jet engine from a Boeing 777 and it used to suck the furnace pilot light right out in the basement all the way from the attic.

But... my house is fairly small and the attic tiny, so I got a pretty compact unit that only sucks ~1200 CFM. It is adequate about 60% of the time, but I'd like maybe 50% more suckage for those summer days when its just roasting. We have no A/C in the house at all.
Suckage is a good word. I admire a good piece of wordsmithery.

Onokai

Reaction score
Grainger does have a zillion motors-you can view them online
I have the catalog-its about 4 inches thick. I have had an account forever-I think they will sell to anyone these days but I'm not sure
McMasterCarr is another online option-less motors than Graingers.
Mark

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Grainger does have a zillion motors-you can view them online
I have the catalog-its about 4 inches thick.I have had an account forever-I think they will sell to amyone these days but I'm not sure
McMasterCarr is another online option-less motors than graingers.
Mark

Yes, Grainger does sell to anyone with money. I started looking there but I don't know how to whittle the search down from a bazillion motors to a couple dozen or so that I could actually browse.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Grainger is open to all here. However, getting waited on by someone with a two-digit minimum IQ has proven impossible so far. I stay away as often as possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks