electrial for new disposal hookup

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by tony norton, Jan 31, 2010.

1. tony norton

tony norton New Member

I have a new install for a disposal. There is no exixting wiring underneath the sink for the unit. The dishwasher is to the right of the sink area but cannot pull it out for the drain hose is too short. I guess it may have been installed before the countertop was put on. My question is, I have a lot of receptacles over my countertop. Can I take one either on the left or right of the sink, put in a combination switch receptacle and break the tab to make the switch separate from the receptacle plug in side, run a wire down and put in a box to wire the disposal to. I did have someone tell me I shouldnt put it on a gfi and someone else said it would be no problem to put it on a gfi line.
  2. codeone

codeone Code Enforcement

No What you are talking about doing would not be code compliant!
  3. Jim Port

Jim Port Electrical Contractor

To expand on the answer above the required small appliance circuits for the countertops are prohibited by code from having other loads like lighting or hardwired appliances on them. The disposal needs its own circuit.
  4. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

Jim,
    Does that requirement apply to all circuits above the countertop or only to the minimum required 2 circuits?
    Thanks