Elbow below toilet flange has other drain line coming into it

Users who are viewing this thread

PabNYC

Reaction score
I just moved into a house and removed the toilet so I can change it. I noticed that the elbow under the flange has the lavatory sink drain line entering into it at the elbow. The PVC was made for this and everything seems to work fine but I am concerned because I have never seen or read about it before. The pipes are all in a slab so they are not easily changeable.

I don't know if this is an acceptible installation or a total hack job by the previous owner. Thanks for your advice.

PabNYC

Attachments

• 0917081432a.jpg
    0917081432a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 691

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't see how it comes in the picture but if it is a heel inlet elbow it would be an incorrect use of that fitting. The heel inlet elbow is really a tee and the only correct use would be with the small heel inlet going straight up.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

PabNYC

Reaction score
If you look at 3 o'clock you can see the opening from the sink pipe.

Since I moved in I have discovered a lot of poorly done work from the previous owners so it wouldn't surprise me that is is an incorrect use of the fitting. The question is do I need to dig up and replumb when I remodel the bathroom.

Thanks

PabNYC

Reaction score
It looks like a part 300-s or 311.

The preexsting rusted out flange is about 1/2" below the floor. When I removed the old toilet I was not expecting the mess that I saw under there. I used a repair flange fastened to the concrete/tile with tapcon screws as a temporary fix. The toilet is stable and there are no leaks.

My future plan within the next year is to have professionals completely gut and rebuild the bath. I have already had a decent amount of electrical redone because of sloppy sub-DIY quality work and I am just curious to know if ripping up the concrete slab is going to need to be part of the future job.

Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have a side outlet elbow under the toilet being used for a sink drain...

With the flange as low as it is. you are busting the floor...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks