Ejector Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

bmbcgo

Reaction score
I live in a garden unit condo. The ejector pump stopped working this weekend.
I replaced it with a Ridgid SEP 500. I spent most of yesterday flushing toilets and running water to make sure it was working.
On two occasions, it failed to start (water started backing up in the floor drain).
I would then jiggle the air vent on the pit, and it would kick in.

Same thing happened this morning. After about 8 toilet flushes, no pumping.

Does this sound like a problem with the float switch?

I'm thinking of switching it out for a zoeller M264. Is that type of swtich (vetical, I think) better?

Or is it better to just buy a new type of float switch (and can anyone recommend)?

Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Ridgid pumps...
IMHO Zoeller is the good stuff.
But you already own it so run it til it dies...

Your problem is probably how the pump and switch are placed in the pit. The float switch has something interfering with its proper operation. You need to make sure the float switch has room to operate without being caught on the pump, pit walls, pipes, wires etc. and it also should not have the waste dumping on top of it.

bmbcgo

Reaction score
I guess I can open up the pit and see (after disconnecting the pipes at the backflow area)

I'm sure I could return the pump, since they have a 90 day return policy.

I just don't want to always be wondering "will the pump go on".

the fact that it failed to go on twice in 2 days does not provide me with piece of mind.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That would happen with any pump if the float was not rigged properly.
The pump is fine, it works!
I just prefer Zoeller.
Next time wait and extra day and don't buy it at big box..,

bmbcgo

Reaction score
Am I correct in thiniing that vertical float is going to be more reliable than this tethered float switch?
the pump that was in there before was a zoeller pump with this type of switch. I'm not sure how long it was in there, probably at least 8 years.
It was very reliable.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, i believe both correctly installed are reliable.
In fact I'd give a slight edge to the tethered as being better as it is easier replaced than an integral unit and aids in troubleshooting because you can pay with the plugs taking the switch out of the circuit.

bmbcgo

Reaction score
Well- I guess its time to call the installer back and have them look at it.

I can't wait to get home and start flushing toilets. Thankfully I don't pay for water.

rwat54

Reaction score
Electronic Switches?

Redwood, any familiarity with electronic switches? One made by wayne senses high water level, then pumps by time you set. It also has a high water alarm in case the pump or switch fails. My tethered diaphram switches have been failing too soon (8 months on last one) and I am looking for a more reliable switch.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I prefer Hydromatic pumps in ejector pits. They use a piggy back float switch that is pressure activated. The switch is bolted in place, and as the water rises in the pit the atmospheric pressure begins to press on the diaphragm in the switch to turn it on. The model I carry for Ejector pumps is the SP50 Also the most common problem any pump has is the switch going bad, Hydromatic's switches just unplug remove one screw remove the switch grab new one and reverse disassembly. Quick and easy to replace.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do not care at all for either electronic or diaphram switches...
I'll take one like this any day of the week!
They work and they work and they work!

10-0032wpipe.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks